Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

15/04/2020 Solar Ha Composite

SiriusDoggy

Two different versions of the same two original composite files. One is "normal" while the other has an inverted surface. I kinda like the inverted version myself as it seems to show more detail and also give the image a bit more of a 3D feel to it. Let me know which you prefer.

Lunt 80mm Ha, ZWO 1600mm camera. Processed using AutoStakkert 3! and ImPPG. Composited and colorized in PhotoshopCC.

i-jXdpBfk-X3.jpg

i-Rs4tjFF-X3.jpg

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Merlin66 said:

Both. You can improve the image using ImPPG - just less L-R deconvolution and Unsharp masking. Watch the curves settings...

Aim for a smoother surface look......

Yeah, I use ImPPG. I guess my eyes just lean to the "over-cooked" look. I'll give them another try or wait until the next clear day. Working on a timelapse right now of that lower left prom group.

Thanks.

2 minutes ago, Merlin66 said:

I agree, it's an individual thing....

The hedgerow prom is certainly looking impressive!

The GONG image overlaid with a 15 deg grid shows how close it is to the solar south pole.

150320_grid.jpg

Hey, that overlay is really cool. I was curious just how far off my camera rotation was to reality. I'd like to figure out how to make sure my view is North up. I'm guessing that is the "proper" way to present images?

The overlay comes from Tilting Sun3

https://www.atoptics.co.uk/tiltsun.htm

To get the correct orientation (North to the top) I just position the solar disk in the camera FOV and move the mount Dec up and down watching the solar image move....rotate the camera until it slides up and down the FOV parallel to the edge.

With the SM60/ BF15 I get a reversed image and have to horizontal flip....

1 hour ago, Merlin66 said:

The overlay comes from Tilting Sun3

https://www.atoptics.co.uk/tiltsun.htm

To get the correct orientation (North to the top) I just position the solar disk in the camera FOV and move the mount Dec up and down watching the solar image move....rotate the camera until it slides up and down the FOV parallel to the edge.

With the SM60/ BF15 I get a reversed image and have to horizontal flip....

Awesome! I'll give that a try the next time I'm set up. I think we're gonna have clouds tomorrow... 🙄