Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Advice for a beginners scope looking to view DSO/planets etc... Also wondering about how bad the light pollution may be in my area

Apologies for the lengthy topic, I am having a bit of trouble deciding on a scope to buy, I have a rough budget of approximately £350. I live in a small town called Loughor which is outside of Swansea in Wales, UK. The back of my house is facing a load of fields which doesn't appear to have a lot of light pollution and when looking out my bedroom window, it is nice to see some stars as we are not used to seeing them where we were living before. However I am wondering if this is sufficient enough for a telescope such as the 'Skywatcher skyliner 200p'? I was recommended this scope by an adviser from a shop that sells telescopes. I do not drive at the moment, however I am aiming to pass this year. Portability does not matter too much to me as I will hopefully be driving ASAP but I am wondering if I could use this scope in my back garden. My postcode is 'SA4 6UF', in case that is useful for understanding the level of light pollution in my area. My house is also quite high up, not sure of the exact elevation above sea level but perhaps that would also benefit my viewing experience... The light pollution map seems to show my area in a orange/yellow area so not quite red. But my house is not in the centre of Loughor and as said before, it has lots of countryside out the back and from the front, we can see right down to the estuary because we are high up and doesn't appear to be all that light polluted. 

Thanks for taking the time to read this, sorry for the amount of information I have written, I am trying to make a careful decision about which to buy. So far I have only been recommended the Skyliner 200P and the assistant confidently said that it would be the best choice in my circumstances, however I am happy for anyone to either suggest alternatives or also agree with what he is telling me. 

Edited by Jakerm1995

Hi and welcome to SGL 🙂 

I would have thought your skies in Loughor would be pretty good (I used to live in Dunvant a long time ago).  Obviously towards Swansea might not be great, and maybe towards Gorseinon, but if you have fields and can see down to the Estuary that should be great (particularly for planets).

The scope you've been recommended is a super scope.  I recommended the same scope to a friend who was looking for a first scope (he lives on the outskirts of Carmarthen) and he has had loads of fun with it!  You'll good planetary views and its great for looking at deeper sky objects such as galaxies and nebulae.  I'd recommend buying the book 'Turn Left at Orion' and a red light torch to go with it and you'll have many happy hours discovering the Universe!

Have fun!

Helen

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Helen said:

Hi and welcome to SGL 🙂 

I would have thought your skies in Loughor would be pretty good (I used to live in Dunvant a long time ago).  Obviously towards Swansea might not be great, and maybe towards Gorseinon, but if you have fields and can see down to the Estuary that should be great (particularly for planets).

The scope you've been recommended is a super scope.  I recommended the same scope to a friend who was looking for a first scope (he lives on the outskirts of Carmarthen) and he has had loads of fun with it!  You'll good planetary views and its great for looking at deeper sky objects such as galaxies and nebulae.  I'd recommend buying the book 'Turn Left at Orion' and a red light torch to go with it and you'll have many happy hours discovering the Universe!

Have fun!

Helen

Ah, well Loughor is quite close to Gorseinon, Dunvant is a little closer to the Gower AONB 😕 I will try it out and fingers crossed, otherwise we should move closer to the Gower. Thanks for the recommendations :) Much appreciated 

What are the faintest magnitude stars you can see with the unaided eye on a decent night? If you are looking out over fields the conditions should not be too bad.

Deep sky objects never look very exciting visually - the typical galaxy appears as a faint fuzzy grey blob. The Skywatcher Skyliner 200p is a popular recommendation for beginners as it ticks several boxes - a lot of aperture for the money, simple to operate, quick to set up.  And star clusters should look great through it. A cautionary note - to see faint deep sky objects you first have to find them, and without the 21st century assistance of a GoTo mount this is easier said than done. I used to own an 8" Newtonian on a non-GoTo mount and finding anything other than planets and similar easy to locate objects was a near total fail.

From my edge of town location I can see some brighter galaxies with my 8" SCT.

• Like 1

Not sure I would have revealed my postcode online, but there's nothing I can see that would suggest to me you shouldn't buy a telescope. Views to the southwest are probably going to be quite superior to other views so depending on the orientation of your house you might want to observe from your front garden if that's the place that will give the least obstructed view.

So long as you're happy storing an 8" dob and carrying it to your observing position it is an ideal choice. I've got one and it is a fantastic all round choice for observing the night sky. In addition to the Skywatcher that you have already had suggested, there is the option of the Bresser which is certainly a better product mechanically, but no one really knows exactly how they compare optically. There won't be a lot in it either way and neither is a bad choice. 

Additionally, you will need some sort of adjustable height observing chair. You can splash out on an astronomical chair if you like but I just use an old drum stool.

• Like 1

If I'm looking in the right place on the map, you should have great views to the southwest, so you'll be able to see lots of solar system and deep space objects as they are setting.  My southwest view is blocked by houses, but it wouldn't matter if they weren't there because that's the direction of a very large city and Bortle 9 skies.  The sky in that direction is basically gray at night.  I live in much brighter skies than you do, and I can see lots of objects to my east and south/southeast.  You're actually in a pretty decent place for astronomy by UK standards.  I'd say get the 8" scope and get out there.  Download Stellarium and learn how to use it to understand where things are in the night sky and how they more hour by hour and night by night.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, miguel87 said:

Hi Jake,

Shouldn't be a bad spot at all. If you need any advice I live over near penclawdd!

Also this website https://www.lightpollutionmap.info/#zoom=4&lat=5759860&lon=1619364&layers=B0FFFFFTFFFFFFFF

Great light pollution map of the UK. Very detailed.

Hope you keep at it!

Mike

Hey Mike, 

That's not far at all, I really appreciate your offer and will probably take you up on grabbing some tips off you! I am a complete noob to this world, astronomy has always fascinated me but i've never got around to buying a telescope. So I hope you'll excuse my lack of knowledge. Upon looking at the map, it does show that where I am is in the orange/yellow area, I hope that it isn't too bad.

Are there any local astronomy clubs at all? 

Again thanks for the help!

Jake 

2 hours ago, Jakerm1995 said:

Upon looking at the map, it does show that where I am is in the orange/yellow area, I hope that it isn't too bad.

That's at the zenith (directly overhead).  If you look toward a horizon, you may be able to pick up darker skies in a direction with no cities in the distance.

6 hours ago, Jakerm1995 said:

Hey Mike, 

That's not far at all, I really appreciate your offer and will probably take you up on grabbing some tips off you! I am a complete noob to this world, astronomy has always fascinated me but i've never got around to buying a telescope. So I hope you'll excuse my lack of knowledge. Upon looking at the map, it does show that where I am is in the orange/yellow area, I hope that it isn't too bad.

Are there any local astronomy clubs at all? 

Again thanks for the help!

Jake 

No it's not too bad, depends what you compare it too. I'm actually from birmingham and started my hobby there before moving to wales. My skies were much worse there but I still enjoyed you hobby. 

You will probably find plenty of things to observe at home and every now and then you might drive for 30 mins or so to a dark spot. Heading north we are very lucky as within about 45 mins we are in world class dark skies. I tend to use Usk reservoir which is Bortle 2.

I once met up with Seansea astronomical society at the university but to be honest it wasnt what I was looking for although it's probably not fair to judge on just one visit. 

Hope you enjoy it!

Edited by miguel87