Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron C6-S with CG-5 Mount, my first review.

merlinxlm

Hello every one, I'd like to start this review on the Celestron C6-S with CG-5 Mount. I will admit that it is my first scope. First impressions are very good, initial set up was fine, I bought a duel motor kit at the same time. Optics I think are very good, the motor kit I'm very impressed by, after the north start alignment, with the motor switched on, the scope tracks brilliantly. I set up on M31 last night, I then went indoors to fetch my wife to show her. It was about 20min before we went back out side, M31 was still dead center of field of view. One problem I have is deciding which lenses to buy, at the moment I have a 9mm, 25mm and a 2 X Barlow, plus a moon filter. I have to say that all in all I'm very happy with my new kit, are there any other members of lounge with any comments?

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had a another good night with my new scope, the moon looked amazing. I tried the 9mm with the barlow fitted, just couldn't focus properly. I think there was to much turbulence in the air. I finally settled with the 9mm on its own, without the moon filter, could see more detail without it, the 15mm with barlow was a nice setup but I preferred the 9mm . Venus looked brilliant experimented with different lens combinations 9mm/15mm with, and without the barlow fitted. Again the 9mm again, but with the moon filter fitted. My home made dew shield worked a treat, no sign of condensation on the main lens but my lenses were starting to freeze "-5 ". So I called it a night, all in all still very pleased with the scope, I just want to learn how to use the setting circles on the mount now, so that I can navigate using the RA and DEC settings. Any tips very much appreciated.

Well the generla view is you should star hop and learn your way around as setting circles are not really the best way to navigate...BUT

You can wither point to the pole star and check the DEC reads 90deg. Then use that for Dec through the session. RA is a bit more challenging. Find a bright star with a known RA, point at the star set the RA and then look up the next object by its RA.

Of course RA will move around as the sky moves so I think you have to come back and reset the RA each time you want to use it to find another object. So back to the original advice, learn the sky and star hop. By turn left at orion and then progress after you have those best objects under your belt.

When it is next clear try M36/37/38 in Auriga and M35 in Gemini, stunning star clusters. Then point at Caster the bright star in Gemini and see what power you need to split it in to two very close bright stars..enjoy...

Mark

Archived