NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Venus in UV, 10th April 2020 - a couple of variations

lukebl

Here's a couple of false-colour variations of Venus from the 10th April. The normal convention is to put the IR image in the red channel and the UV image in the blue channel. I had a go a reversing this convention. I think it's quite pleasing.

Captured with Baader U-Venus filter, c. 90,000 frames, of which 30,000 stacked. 13ms exposures @ c. 74fps.  3x Televue Barlow, Omegon RC8  and a ZWO ASI 290MM Mini Mono camera.

49760466481_cd29ce3e0c_z.jpg

Edited by lukebl
  • Like 8

Luke - really nice photos of Venus. Not being an imager may I ask a technical question. When you state IR and UV are you using a filter to block this wavelength. The reason I ask is last night I forgot to remove by IR/UV filter when I was solar viewing. I started to observe Venus with the filter in place and it seemed better than no filter at all. It may have been my imagination but you post made me think.

As I said great photos.

37 minutes ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

...When you state IR and UV are you using a filter to block this wavelength....

Actually, it's quite the reverse. The filter blocks everything except the UV. I bought mine a few years ago and have just seen how outrageously expensive they are now! Details here.

Edited by lukebl
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...