NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Simeis 147 LRGB ha

Taken on the 25th March, here's my rendition of Simeis 147 straddling the Auriga/Taurus border.

1268376824_Simeis147LRGBHasmall.thumb.JPG.fcc92cfb0b34e591abd64d9643466c46.JPG

The progenitor exploded about 40,000 years ago, there is a pulsar hiding in there somewhere. The bright star at the bottom with the flare is Elnath.

242553029_Simeis147Location.jpg.a4a67224c9fdc8fda6f138d721350f41.jpg

This was taken with the Samyang 135mm at f2 and 1600mm cool at -15C, on a Star Adventurer mount. It's about 8 minutes per channel LRGB (30s subs) and 50 minutes of Ha (2min subs).

Hope you like it, spent a couple hours messing around with the processing and need to step away from it for a while.

• Like 9

That is a lovely image, is that crimson background common in shots around these area, I have had it on some of mine and thought it was a fault and tried to remove it, sometime the reason is that it is a large SH 2 area other time they are not marked as such.

Alan

• Like 1

1 minute ago, alan potts said:

That is a lovely image, is that crimson background common in shots around these area, I have had it on some of mine and thought it was a fault and tried to remove it, sometime the reason is that it is a large SH 2 area other time they are not marked as such.

Alan

Thanks, glad you like it. There is tons of background Ha around there as you can see in this image from the MDW sky survey. I toned it down a bit in my image as it looked a bit unnatural.

2 hours ago, simmo39 said:

Stunning! saving some pennys to get one of these lens.

Hope you enjoy it, it's a great bit of glass. The stars certainly aren't Tak quality at f2 but really aren't bad at all, and trimming a pixel or two off them in Startools or Noel's actions works well. It's perfect for UK weather as it goes deep so quickly.

• Like 1