NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Thanks everyone

Thanks everyone whose helped me this week some really helpful advice 👍🏼

buying your next scope is a tough one !

I’ve now narrowed it down to the Celestron 127 SLT or the Nexstar 5se - or even the 6se
Those are the three I’m looking at - just need to way up if extra spend on the se series is going to give me anymore than the 127. 

cheers all 👍🏼👍🏼

• Like 2

Both are good scopes. The 127 SLT will be slightly better on the moon and planets but the 5SE is a better all round scope and will be a bit better on DSOs  (deep space objects).

However the 6SE is a brilliant scope and will be more stable on the heavier mount. Bit of a no contest if the budget is there. My favourite small SCT. 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

The 6SE is really in a different class but is a lot more expensive. Lot of pluses for the 6SE over the others but however that extra 400 quid is a lot extra to find and could be hard to justify.

Edited by johninderby

8 minutes ago, Beardy30 said:

Think that’s the issue for me is the 6se worth £400 more to give me that wow factor over the 127 each time I’m observing in my garden ..yet to be convinced ! 

The additional 25mm of aperture is the difference. £400 would very nearly buy you a new 10 inch dobsonian which would massively outperform both these scopes on all objects visually.

Worth bearing in mind.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, johninderby said:

The 6SE is really in a different class but is a lot more expensive. Lot of pluses for the 6SE over the others but however that extra 400 quid is a lot extra to find and could be hard to justify.

Yes I agree 

2 minutes ago, John said:

The additional 25mm of aperture is the difference. £400 would very nearly buy you a new 10 inch dobsonian which would massively outperform both these scopes on all objects visually.

Worth bearing in mind.

I’m not a fan of the dob personally - to big for me and I love the goto sky align system on the Celestron 

10 minutes ago, Beardy30 said:

I’m not a fan of the dob personally - to big for me and I love the goto sky align system on the Celestron 

Fair enough - it was just an example. I don't think the 25mm would justify the £400 in all honesty.

I've had a few 5 inch Celestron SCT's and found them pretty capable little scopes. Not into GOTO myself so I don't have any opinions on that.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Beardy30 said:

So would you opt for the 5se over the 127 ..only £200 between them ?

I'm only commenting on the optical tube but, personally I feel that the C5's are a bit more versitle than the 127 mak-cassegrains (which I've also owned) but there is not a lot in it.

But I can't tell you if the versatility is worth £200 to you.

• Like 1

Just as a price compromise would the Nexstar 6 SLT be worth considering? It’s a 6”tube so more light gathering ..but I guess the mount is a poor one compared tit he 5 or 6 se Nexstar range ?? 

I know your pain after my astro-hiatus, I wanted a posh new scope even though I still had my beloved 6" Fullerscope.

I got aperture fever and, against the advice of this forum, got the wrong scope/mount combo. The 250PDS scope is towards the handling limit of the NEQ6Pro mount and the eyepiece is anywhere but convenient.

I'm a bit wiser now. I've got a 10" Newt that needs "Dobbing" and a NEQ6 mount looking for the right OTA. My celestron 127 Mak is almost that scope. A 6 or 8 inch Mak/SCT would be perfect for that role.

Right now, in your position, I'd look at the OTA as a stand alone issue then decide how you'd like to mount it. Goto isn't everything. I learned to star hop with paper atlases. It's a big chunk of the fun for visual observers.

2 minutes ago, Beardy30 said:

So which scope would you go for ? In my position? 

The nights are shrinking rapidly so the only urgency is for Mars later in the year and then Jupiter/Saturn , perhaps. No rush then. I wish I'd bought S/H from the forum. There is always, notwithstanding virus lock down, plenty of top gear turning up in the classifieds.

No one can put your mind at rest regarding you perfect scope. But if Goto and SCT/Mak are attracting you (and why not?), maybe wait for a 6" or 8" in version. Planet wise you'll not regret it but for DSO's, there are better scopes - if you have the sky for them ... :)

1 minute ago, Beardy30 said:

not the Nexstar se series then ? 

Too specific a question for me to answer. Just thinking that you are attracted to the compact catadioptric design with Goto. It's a huge market with room for 50 different opinions and recomendations.

The Celeston 127 Mak is a great little scope in my experience. I was just thinking about future proofing yourself a bit and upsize at the outset. I'm not familiar with all the brands and their ever so similar models!

5 minutes ago, Paul M said:

Too specific a question for me to answer. Just thinking that you are attracted to the compact catadioptric design with Goto. It's a huge market with room for 50 different opinions and recomendations.

The Celeston 127 Mak is a great little scope in my experience. I was just thinking about future proofing yourself a bit and upsize at the outset. I'm not familiar with all the brands and their ever so similar models!

Thanks Paul 

• Like 1

I agree with John, the C5 is more versatile, as well as being very light. I have one, which I got with the omni EQ mount. ( only added £ 29 to the price of the OTA. )  I have not used the mount yet and use the tripod for a Sky Tee 2. I am pretty sure that you can use the .63 reducer with the C5, though have not done so yet, which gives me a F10 and a F 6.3 scope. I also have the  Evoulton ( C 9.25, )  mount, which I can highly recommend, though again another boost in budget, but better than the SE, I am told. You can get a Evo 5.  :smiley:

Edit: I use the C5 on a AZGTi mount.

Edited by Greymouser