NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Require help with filters

I am in my sixties and use to play around with a 4" scope over 40 years ago, now I have plenty time on my hands and brought a Celestron Nexstar 8" and it's the first time I have owned a motorized scope. I am really enjoying it as you don't get hours of trying find what you are looking for, I'm no expert just a novice. My interests are star clusters, nebulas and galaxies. Along with the 8" scope my lens are a 40mm Explore Scientific maxVision 68% eyepiece a Baader mark IV Hyperion 8-24,, zoom with 2.25x Barlow a Explorer Scientific 26mm with a couple of low to mid rang of lens. What I really need help with is the kind of filters that would enhance the view and colours when looking at the cluster/nebulas and so on, I do know that these are quit pricey but I want to get this right first time because I'm in this for the long hall or unit I meet my box 😬🤣 I have been reading lots different comments on different subjects and there is indeed plenty of brain and experience on this site, so please may pick your brain please. David

Colour filters are of marginal usefulness, so no need to rush out and buy any.

I have a Baader OIII 10nm filter which makes emission nebulae like M27 easier to see by passing their emission bands.  It makes anything else look dim and green.

In general one cannot see any colour on faint deep sky objects.

Thank you for that Sub Dwarf, can I ask your thoughts on my lens choices as I went on YouTube, maybe I should of asked here first. The one thing I have found extremely useful is the GPS and StarSense camera, it just save so much work. The only reason I asked about the filters is that you see all these pictures with beautiful colours, sorry if it seems that I'm a bit green but like I said I am as novice.   

You can only "see" the colours in photographs as the objects are so dim, visually almost all nebulae will appear as grey. To enhance them your options are UHC and OIII filters. Of the new filters on the market there are two brands I would suggest, either Astronomik or Televue (made by Astronomik).

Star clusters are not improved by filters, some galaxies can be marginally improved by a CLS filter (again, Astronomik).

Thanks ever so much for your help. So really there is no important in spending money on them just yet? yes I have found that the Orion is like you said grey, still really nice. I do intend turn to photographs by means of a telescope camera hocked up to a lap top, I guess you have to polar alien first for long exposure? You all have help me so much in understanding thing much clearer.   

I don’t bother with color filters, they are too specific to particular objects and so, in my opinion, not good value for money.

i do believe in filters though, some people don’t like them, it’s a matter of personal choice I think. I have the Baader Moon and Skyglow filter to assist with light pollution and the Astronomik O111 and UHC for nebula observing. I also have a Baader Contrast Booster for planets. I haven’t used this yet, and some people don’t think it’s useful, again it’s personal choice. 

I would suggest that for nebula a filter is essential but I suppose it depends on your level of light pollution and other factors particular to you......and yes, for Astro photography you need to be accurately polar aligned 

Welcome to the forum David. It would help to understand what your skies are like? Do you live in a town or do you have access to dark skies? Knowing this will help us to be realistic about what is possible.

Galaxies only really benefit from being under a good sky. Open and globular clusters seem to cope better with some light pollution. Planetary nebulae and other nebulae such as M42 do benefit from either a UHC or OIII filter depending upon the target. There is no need to rush into purchasing them yet, plenty to see and get used to before that. Have you viewed Venus through your scope yet? It is looking fabulous in the West every evening at the moment.

Enjoy your scope. Plenty of help and advice here if you need it.

1 hour ago, New Young Star said:

yes I have found that the Orion is like you said grey, still really nice.

Try this trick on Orion.  After you have it centered at a low power to really concentrate the light into a small, bright region, shine a bright light onto a white sheet of paper and stare at it to sensitize the color sensing cones in your eyes.  Now extinguish the light and quickly look back at Orion.  You may see a hint of green before your cones fade away and the rods take over again.

Thank you Supernova, I live in a small village in a bungalow so no real obstructions. I do have street light lamps right outside my front, but I'm in the back and have good 6'6" fencing and where I have the telescope I don't get the light pollution from the front street lamp or if I do it's only slightly if any. Was looking at venue 2 nights ago and all I got was a nice bright curve shape, I think I had a 32mm plossi? I've had a look at the beehive cluster, O! and I do have a baader Moon & skyglow filter that I got with the telescope. I've only had the scope about 3 weeks and only 3 nights out due to bad weather but a least I celebrated and now all I have to do is alien. 

As for Red dwarf, I will look in to that thanks. any trick welcome.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, New Young Star said:

Thank you Supernova, I live in a small village in a bungalow so no real obstructions. I do have street light lamps right outside my front, but I'm in the back and have good 6'6" fencing and where I have the telescope I don't get the light pollution from the front street lamp or if I do it's only slightly if any. Was looking at venue 2 nights ago and all I got was a nice bright curve shape, I think I had a 32mm plossi? I've had a look at the beehive cluster, O! and I do have a baader Moon & skyglow filter that I got with the telescope. I've only had the scope about 3 weeks and only 3 nights out due to bad weather but a least I celebrated and now all I have to do is alien. 

That sounds promising anyway, you should get some good views fro m your village.

It sounds like you’ve seen the shape of Venus, throw some more power at it and that cuts the brightness back a bit. You still won’t seen any detail though I suspect.

Have a look for the Double Cluster, plus perhaps some of the Auriga Clusters and M35, all lovely. Plenty of Galaxies around in Leo and Virgo to check out too.

One thing to note, I think you are reading our post count ranks as our names. I’m Stu!

1 hour ago, New Young Star said:

1 hour ago, Stu said:

One thing to note, I think you are reading our post count ranks as our names. I’m Stu!

@New Young Star I forgot to first say welcome to SGL, so welcome aboard. :icon_salut:

You're not the first to mistake our post count rank name for our username/handle on here.  Look up in the gray (grey?) bar above the post rank nickname and avatar for our username/handle on here.  I'm Louis D. 😃