Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lunar Imaging with dSLR - stacking, How?

I used to know what I was doing lol , no not so much.

So last night I did some lunar imaging, full disc with a DSLR. Captured in RAW mode (CR2 files) with JPG versions automatically saved. 

If I had captured an AVI, I'd know what i was doing, throw the file into Registax or AS!...  But I honestly cannot remember what to do.

I have 22 images, do I open the RAWs in Registax and get it to do the alignment. Do I need to do some rough alignment myself in PS? It as using an un-driven mount, so there will be a fair amount of movement between first and last. 

Ta,

Ant

Open in PIPP and use that to centre and crop each image - output as TIFF or PNG.  Then use Autostakkert3 to align and stack.  ImPPG will do the sharpening for you followed by a tweak in Photoshop.  Try with the JPEG's first in case you have trouble with software reading the RAW files.

Convert the CR2's to TIF (I use lightroom) load them all into AS!3 (64 bit) no need to align or crop... You can drag and drop to add them. Analyse, auto apply align points, stack. Save output. Open in Regi and apply gentle wavelets.

Thanks for the replies guys, a few techniques to try, some new software to get. :)

All I need now is an excuse not to leave the house to give me time to play.... Oh wait.... lol

Nice one, thanks all.

Ant

Another piece of software I found... Exif Pilot.. you can use  it to export the EXIF data from your RAW images (focal length, shutter, ISO etc) to an XML file, then import it again into a TIF (It'll probably work with other image formats, but I've not tried them) that you just saved from registax etc. May not be useful, but as I host my images on Flickr, it's handy to have that information available on the image view directly, and, saves me typing

Nice thanks John, not so concerned about EXIF data right now - but will keep that one handy for when I am. 

Here is a quick process of one jpg. The focus is off, hoping that stacking will able to process through some of that, its also over exposed lol

Ant

_MG_0738_proc.jpg.bc89b2e77a668b65a16c7734d4faf9fb.jpg

• Like 1