NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Leo Triplet wide-ish field

david_taurus83

344mm isnt exactly galaxy focal length but I gave it a shot anyway. Not much nebula stuff around for a bit. I'm surprised how well its come out given the short focal length and rather large 3.9 arc second pixel scale. I'm really liking this camera.

Canon 6D, IDAS D2 filter, Starwave 70EDQ-R, AZGTi in EQ mode

360 x 60s at ISO1600

LeoTripDBE.jpg

LeoTrip_DBE_Annotated.jpg

LeoTripcrop.jpg

• Like 9

Brilliant. I got my first Leo Triplet on the advice of a friend a month ago. Breathtaking what can be imaged by small aperture scopes, well done x10.

I have a question about the colour? The galaxies are very red. As a new comer to imaging why is this so? Not a criticism just a point of reference for newbies like me to learn from.

Marv

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Marvin Jenkins said:

Brilliant. I got my first Leo Triplet on the advice of a friend a month ago. Breathtaking what can be imaged by small aperture scopes, well done x10.

I have a question about the colour? The galaxies are very red. As a new comer to imaging why is this so? Not a criticism just a point of reference for newbies like me to learn from.

Marv

Thanks Marvin. No idea why the galaxies are that colour. Probably a combination of small aperture scope, large pixel scale and all the light pollution I have to deal with. It also depends on how I stretch the image initially. Usually I have to remove the light pollution first but it can really damage the image. With this I stretched it first in Pixinsight and then done Dynamic Background Extraction. The result was a much smoother better balanced background and it left the galaxies pretty much intact.