Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Moon on Full beam

Jiggy 67

So last night, the 6th, the moon was nearly full and high in the sky through the night which meant the only objects really possible from already light polluted skies were double stars.

Now, I've done the doubles stored in the synscan to death so, given that star hopping is virtually impossible under Bortle 6 skies and that the moon was shining away I decided to have a go using the "User Object" function in the handset. I've never used this before, it's always scared me, I've thought that it will be over complicated but I was very wrong, it's really easy. For those that have never tried it, it is found under the "object" menu and it simply asks you to enter the coordinates of an object. I entered coordinates taken from the SkySafari app and on EVERY occasion the mount slewed to the object, placing it very near to the centre of the FOV, I was amazed!! It appeared to be more accurate than the pre stored objects!

As a result some of these doubles are objects I wouldn't normally think of.

First off - 12 Lyncis. A beautiful triple star system with the A & B component very close to each other, so close I could only split them at x250 mag. A and B are bright white stars of similar size and C is further away, much dimmer, smaller and with an orange hue to it......a stunning triple, well worth a look.

HR4893 - A nice double easily split at x58 mag. Two white stars of equal size and brightness. Both appeared to me to offer a hint of blue.

Next - 40 and 41 Draconis. Another easy split at x58 mag.

Followed by - Psi Draconis (AKA Dziban). Another nice double easily split at x58 mag. The primary is slightly bigger than the secondary which was blueish and dimmer.

I finished the night with Kappa 1 Bootis and Kappa 2 Bootis (AKA Asellus Tertius). Another easy split with the best view at x125 mag. A large white primary with a smaller, dimmer and bluish companion.....very nice.

All in all, a very satisfying couple of hours and in case you didn't notice, I was really impressed with the user object function.

Stay safe everyone

• Like 6

Nice , if you go to the SAO listed on the handset (object button) ,there are several thousand brilliant binary stars above +7 mag.

SAO numbers are 6 numbers. If 5 numbers , put a zero in front .Enter the first four numbers , then select (enter) . You can scroll down to the numbers in the handset.

If not available , then it's back to coordinates. Either way soon becomes intuitive with use . Ideal for light polluted skies and super moon observing !

Stay safe , Nick.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1