NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Another old find...

bf79

Hi folks, a while ago i posted on here about some mirrors and eyepieces that had been found packed away for years in my wifes loft... long story short, her dad was a keen astronomer and had built his own telescopes many years ago. Unfortunately he passed away long before we met and all his stuff had been packed up and stored away.

Well, Ive now found another box which ive just opened and found a rather nice mirror, its 30cm wide and other than a bit of dust looks in great condition.  

Im still very much a beginner to this hobby so I dont know the first thing about it, other than this is most likely the first time this has seen daylight in about 30 years. 

As much as i love the idea of putting this to use myself, its way beyond my skill or knowledge level, so im looking to see if anybody can give me advice on it. 

Is there a market for these kind of things? Are they valuable? Is it of any use for building a scope or is it outdated?

Any advice or info most welcome

Thanks

Brian

1D994644-A08A-44E0-B226-9294DEA67B10.jpeg

A52CF6AE-1D54-4881-B6B6-5DC59067B597.jpeg

3D0B65B8-302B-4EAB-BDE3-32905E0737C8.jpeg

3424C6AE-EE3A-46B2-8116-355E581A2E2D.jpeg

Edited by bf79

Hold a comb in front of your eye so you're looking through the teeth. At the same time, shine a torch through the comb so you see the reflection of the torch and comb teeth in the mirror and walk backwards, keeping the image of the expanding comb teeth in your vision. At the point when the comb teeth begin to topple over, you have reached the focal point. Measure the distance between the mirror surface to where your comb and eye was when the image toppled and you have your focal length. The comb teeth act like a basic Ronchi grating.

Edited by mikeDnight
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Brian that is a cracking find giving you the makings of very sound 12 inch Dobsonian telescope; that would be a very capable beast.  Constructing a Dobsonian would not be as challenging as perhaps you may think and it's certainly and enjoyable and rewarding project. If you think you may be interested in going down that line then this site would be a good starting point https://stellafane.org/  . 

Jim 

• Thanks 1