NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Is My MacAir Up To The Task ?

Hi All, seem to be having stalling issues when trying to do AP.

I have a MacAir 2012 1.8 Dual Core i5 with 4GB RAM, using EKOS to run Mount, Image Camera, Guide Cam, Focusser, Filterwheel.

Couple of problems I have been having are that the Guide Cam (USB3) doesn't like being on the USB2 hub with with everything else so goes directly to my MacAir.

The main problem is that if it's asked to do too much i.e dither + focus + guide + image, I get a spinning wheel of death stall and cannot capture any more subs.

Is it time for a new MacBook Pro?

2 hours ago, alacant said:

Hi

Perhaps try an all usb3 hub first?

Cheers

Been munching on the idea of a Pegasus Ultimate V2 and some shorter cables. A USB3 hub would probably help the guide cam issue but probably not the stalling.

1 hour ago, JOC said:

Can you put more RAM in those MacBooks?  If so maybe that would help.

Not in the MacAir I'm afraid. I did recently boost my iMac to 64GB though but hooking up to that would be a major inconvenience.

Edited by MarkAR

4 minutes ago, alacant said:

Phew! Or a RPI at the telescope with your air as client? 

JTOL

Looked at RPi4, I have no idea on how to build/program set up something like that. If someone was willing to sort one all out I might go that route, but TBH if it gets buggy then I would be completely stuck.

Edited by MarkAR

35 minutes ago, alacant said:

Ah, ok. The stellarmate is the commercial version. Ready to go. Just connect your stuff. Uses the same software with which you're already familiar.

HTH

Had a look at Stellarmate but I think Pegasus is a better all in one for connecting and powering devices and it is Ekos compatible.

11 minutes ago, heliumstar said:

Why not new Macbook Air? It looks like very capable machine.

Looks pretty capable until you compare it with a 16" Pro which is twice the price but twice the power or more. Rather go whole hog than leave myself a little short.

1 hour ago, MarkAR said:

Looks pretty capable until you compare it with a 16" Pro which is twice the price but twice the power or more. Rather go whole hog than leave myself a little short.

If you are willing to live with much bigger machine then it's no brainer. The new Air should still be capable for what you need though.