Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

APRIL 6TH - BAILLY (LARGEST OF CRATER SHAPED FORMATIONS) FAVOURABLEY PLACED TONIGHT

Bailly is very well placed tonight on the SW Lunar terminator>  Well worth a look.

Description:
Circular formation little differentiated. The largest of crater shaped formations.
Few steep slopes supporting many craters.
High walls ridden by Bailly A to the South-East.
Extensive and pretty flat floor to the South and tormented to the North. Spangled of craters and craterlets whose Bailly B to the South Bailly
D & C to the North-West and Bailly F & I to the center. Hills.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, paulastro said:

Bailly is very well placed tonight on the SW Lunar terminator>  Well worth a look.

Description:
Circular formation little differentiated. The largest of crater shaped formations.
Few steep slopes supporting many craters.
High walls ridden by Bailly A to the South-East.
Extensive and pretty flat floor to the South and tormented to the North. Spangled of craters and craterlets whose Bailly B to the South Bailly
D & C to the North-West and Bailly F & I to the center. Hills.

Just a question from a lunar novice, why do you call it a crater shaped formation and not just a crater?

Mike 

Thanks Paul, I spotted the outer edge last night and what I know know to be Bailly B highlighted in the centre (thanks to @Peter_DI think it was that pointed that out)

Have just managed a first look tonight, and as you say it is very well placed, looking very good although the seeing is wobbly. That may be because it is over the neighbours house currently so will try again later.

Thanks for the heads up 👍👍

• Like 1

Seeing has stabilised here, Moon between the houses now so that is probably why. Using up to x330 but around x270 is best.

Two others to look for, Babbage is right on the Southern terminator, really nicely illuminated. Ricciolli is near Grimaldi and is still largely in shadow but looking quite dramatic, and hopefully will gradually become more illuminated tonight.

• Like 1