Canon Recommendations

Hey all,

I am wanting to get into astrophotography and am looking to start my jump with a DSLR camera. I have had a scope for a few years and have really enjoyed it (Orion Starmax 127 mm maksutov-cassegrain) but would like to start out with a DSLR before experimenting with my scope. I am looking for a cheaper Canon (nothing more than 500$) that would be good for a beginner, I am looking around on Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Craigslist etc. I have found several used Canons on FB marketplace that are relatively cheap but would like to know what is best for astrophotography. What specs should I be most concerned about? 

For example, I can get a Canon t5i for ~400$ with the stock lens and adapters, or a Canon t7 for around same price. From Astrobackyards website his first Camera he used was a 450D, I can get one of those for 150$. Is this camera too outdated? This price would allow me to get a proper tracking mount for the camera much quicker. 

Many websites, including this one, recommends the t7i but that is 700$ brand new, is the difference for a beginner out weigh the price point? 

Any recommendations and insights would be much appreciated! 

Casey

I’ve been learning AP using 500d that I already had, with 17-80mm and 80-300mm kit lenses and a Star Adventurer pro. 

I’m finding a good set up to keep me going and learning :) 

• Like 1

I have a 700D(T5i). My first DLSR and only had it a few days. I can't say much about it other than I would have seriously regretted not getting one without a flip out screen. Easy to see what you're doing not matter the angle.

Edited by BlueStinger
  • Like 1

On 04/04/2020 at 18:39, RippyTheGator said:

Hey all,

I am wanting to get into astrophotography and am looking to start my jump with a DSLR camera. I have had a scope for a few years and have really enjoyed it (Orion Starmax 127 mm maksutov-cassegrain) but would like to start out with a DSLR before experimenting with my scope. I am looking for a cheaper Canon (nothing more than 500$) that would be good for a beginner, I am looking around on Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Craigslist etc. I have found several used Canons on FB marketplace that are relatively cheap but would like to know what is best for astrophotography. What specs should I be most concerned about? 

For example, I can get a Canon t5i for ~400$ with the stock lens and adapters, or a Canon t7 for around same price. From Astrobackyards website his first Camera he used was a 450D, I can get one of those for 150$. Is this camera too outdated? This price would allow me to get a proper tracking mount for the camera much quicker. 

Many websites, including this one, recommends the t7i but that is 700$ brand new, is the difference for a beginner out weigh the price point? 

Any recommendations and insights would be much appreciated! 

Casey

Consider a mirrorless - smaller lighter and no mirror box to cause vibrations when it flips up. You also get more backfocus so you can adapt to more easily to other makers lenses (there are some old prime lenses out there with a good reputation for astrophotography). You can also get adaptors so they work with all the modern lenses for DSLRs. I've even 3D printed one for my canon M50 that incorporates a filter drawer...

IMG_8569.jpg

Edited by haitch
  • Like 1

Hi haitch

The M range should be a good imaging camera for the reasons you mention, but seems to have some disadvantages. 

The EOS M mirrorless range has a unique bayonet size, different to the DSLRs, and SGL posters complain that the only T2 adapters have 26mm thickness instead of 10mm for DSLRs, so they are unable to use that short 18mm backfocus you mentioned to accommodate OAG, filter wheels etc - how have you managed this? 

Also could you list the M models that have full remote facilities, B shutter control etc, l over USB? 

Michael 

You can easily get a Ef-m to Ef adaptor that lets you use the full range of accessories that the DSLRs use.

I don't know all the M models but my M50 does as well as using wifi with the Canon utilities on Pc or Canon or Cascable app on my iPhone/iPad… Cascable is great for being able to program sequences.

Battery life on the M models isn't great but I use a USB dummy battery witha 20Ah USB phone charger pack with 2 outlets that powers the camera and dew heater for the lens (I mostly use mine for widefield on an Astrotrac)  

and you can get an ef-m to Ef adaptor with a reducer built in (search for Viltrox speed booster) - not had chance to use that for astro yet but the terrestrial shots I've took seem promising

1 minute ago, michael8554 said:

Thanks haitch, you should go into production with your 3D printed adapter! 

Michael 

Lol - once I'm totally 100% happy with it I shall probably publish the files so anyone can print it.

The drawers are compatible with the Baader UFC system but somewhat cheaper at a few pence worth of plastic than the thirty odd quid a drawer (which is why I initially designed my drawer). I have the Baader filter drawer for my C11 & Hyperstar so this means I can have one set of filters and use them on everything and mine even have the holes to fit the little magnets that keep them in place.