Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Colour filter test

CraigT82

Last night I decided to try out different colour filters with a mono camera, just to compare which colour gave the best result for hi res lunar. 

I used Baader green, orange, red and IR685. I also tried a ZWO 850nm but the results were poor. 

The seeing turned out to be very good and I think because of this the green filter came out on top. Not much between them really. I think if I repeated this under poorer seeing conditions the longer wavelengths would come out on top. 

Each capture was 500 frames stacked from 5000. I tweaked the gain and exposure carefully to match the histogram for each colour (with an emphasis on adjusting the gain: I tried to keep all exposures under 5ms). 

I then sharpened each image in imppg and tweaked the contrast in PS. 

Filter Comparison.png

Edited by CraigT82
  • Like 6

I've normally found that red or Infra-red gives the best result on the Moon, unless there's lots of moisture in the air, then the IR struggles. The IR comes through the atmosphere with the least distorsion.

I did this test 6 years ago. Now for the Sun in white light, Green or Solar Continuum wins out.

moon2014_20.jpg

1 hour ago, Altocumulus said:

Interesting exercise.

Have you ever tried a Baader Continuum?

No I dont have one but as I understand it it is a tighter green bandpass so may require longer exposures or gain. Would be interesting to give it a go though to see how it compares. 

32 minutes ago, ArmyAirForce said:

I've normally found that red or Infra-red gives the best result on the Moon, unless there's lots of moisture in the air, then the IR struggles. The IR comes through the atmosphere with the least distorsion.

I did this test 6 years ago. Now for the Sun in white light, Green or Solar Continuum wins out.

moon2014_20.jpg

Yes I agree normally the longer wavelengths win out in the UK skies, but on the very good nights I'd definitely give shorter wavelengths a go if you have them 

• Like 1

The last time I remember good seeing was at Solar maximum in 2014. Since then is has gone further and further down hill. I'll be interested to see if it improves as we head back to the new solar max.

• Like 1