Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

William Optics GT102 - Good or Bad Choice?

I have been looking for a 4" refractor in the £2k-£3k price range to give me more reach and greater resolution than my excellent Esprit 80.

My conclusion after three full days of analysis is that the GT 102 should do what I need.

I'm thinking or getting both the 68III flattener and Flat 7a 0.8 reducer.

Any thoughts?

Also, has anyone any experience of using the William Optics Flattener 68III with the GT102. As far as I can see the flattener was specifically made for the FLT132 but is also shown as useable on the GT102 - just wondered if it is ok not being specifically made for it?

30 minutes ago, garryblueboy said:

What’s wrong with the Esprit 120 not much of uplift going from an 80 to 102 

My HEQ5 would struggle with the 120 - it was my first choice but after a lot of research and talking to people about it I decided I would need a bigger mount. The GT102 gives me the option of going from 400 with the Esprit to either 562mm or 704mm depending on which flattener I get. I'm probably looking at the 0.8 reducer initially due to length of exposure.

6 hours ago, Midnight_lightning said:

I have been looking for a 4" refractor in the £2k-£3k price range to give me more reach and greater resolution than my excellent Esprit 80.

My conclusion after three full days of analysis is that the GT 102 should do what I need.

I'm thinking or getting both the 68III flattener and Flat 7a 0.8 reducer.

Any thoughts?

Also, has anyone any experience of using the William Optics Flattener 68III with the GT102. As far as I can see the flattener was specifically made for the FLT132 but is also shown as useable on the GT102 - just wondered if it is ok not being specifically made for it?

Thought with your 2-3k budget the 120 and a mount would be in reach 

49 minutes ago, garryblueboy said:

Thought with your 2-3k budget the 120 and a mount would be in reach 

I looked at the 120 and EQ6R Pro but i set up every night and quite honestly its too much weight for me. I would need a dolly (£300), plus its wouldn't fit in my homemade humidity controlled cupboard - it just seemed more than I could manage. 

I am getting a bit concerned that no one seems to have anything good to say about the WO GT102 - I thought they were a step above the esprit equivalent but maybe not(?)

• 1 year later...

I see this is a pretty old thread, but I'd love to know if you went ahead with the GT102?

I was planning on the Esprit100, but due to unavailability I've ordered a WO GT102. It seems a pretty rare scope (they don't even appear on the WO website!). Fingers crossed I haven't made the wrong decision. 

Cheers,

Daemon

2 hours ago, daemon said:

I see this is a pretty old thread, but I'd love to know if you went ahead with the GT102?

I was planning on the Esprit100, but due to unavailability I've ordered a WO GT102. It seems a pretty rare scope (they don't even appear on the WO website!). Fingers crossed I haven't made the wrong decision. 

Cheers,

Daemon 

I'm in the same situation as yourself and looked around at other 100mm APO's on FLO's website as a backup and also noticed the GT102. They went to "special order 40-60 days" and are now showing as "unavailable" so perhaps WO have stopped manufacturing them? They've recently released the FLT91 so maybe that is a replacement of sorts? 

Edited by Richard_
Forgot to delete first sentence.

Hey Richard. Yes, sorry, it seems I grabbed the last one from FLO. I am a bit nervous as the scope does seem to be discontinued and I can find very little information on it. Even from William Optics!

I was looking to upgrade from a SW ED80 (which was stolen) and after moving awaý from the Esprit, I settled on the GT102 after a lot of research. Like you I have found that the FLT91 seems to be the closest match that FLO currently have. I really like the specs and look of it. I'm pretty sure it would be my next choice in these days of short supply. I'd go for it if I were you! 🙂

Good luck!

Steve