Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M60 (LRGB) - 1 April 2020

geoflewis

Continuing to work through the Messier galaxy data that I captured recently, here is a look at elliptical galaxy M60, which when paired together with the adjacent spiral galaxy NGC4647 is known as Arp 116. As with the other images this was captured with my QSI583 camera paired with the C14 and Optec telecompressor lens. L=12x10m, RGB=10x5m each.

M60_LRGB_IP_PS.thumb.jpg.a7da0ff7e923e77f50742f59bcc7e1fc.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Edited by geoflewis
  • Like 17

Thanks Rodd, I generally go for a soft approach with my processing, so am glad that you like it. I have an ongoing issue with my flats that I haven't been able to resolve, so I had to work harder than I'd like on some parts of the image - in fact not just this image. I think the problem is to do with the Optec lens producing a circular artefact which mainly affects the red and green flats, but after shooting various different flat settings without any improvement, I've decided to live with it and just capture some images.

Thanks Donal, there are so many interesting targets up there and some of the Messier targets aren't particularly photogenic, especially these elliptical galaxies. However, M60 also being part of Arp 116 is worth a look, even though I didn't know that until I checked it out for my Messier collection 🙂. Cheers, Geof

• Like 1