Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M42, 90mm Mak, ZWO 178MC

Bobby1970

I bought myself a 90mm Skywatcher Mak recently. I have no need whatsoever for one, lol. But the seller only wanted £50 and it came with a bag, red dot finder, two eyepieces and diagonal. All still in their plastic bags and boxes, the red dot finder still had the plastic to pull out from the battery before use, and there were no marks at all on the dovetail even. 🙂

Anyway, I had a quick look at the moon last night and then thought why not try it with the ZWO 178MC and focal reducer just to see what I could capture and for a bit of fun.

This is the result of around 8 or 9 minutes of 15s images livestacked in sharpcap and processed in Startools.

1261837166_M42Closeup31032020JPG.thumb.jpg.6354d1d62e758b6f92abab389d6c5609.jpg

Thanks for looking

Edited by Bobby1970
  • Like 6

8 minutes ago, Bobby1970 said:

I bought myself a 90mm Skywatcher Mak recently. I have no need whatsoever for one, lol. But the seller only wanted £50 and it came with a bag, red dot finder, two eyepieces and diagonal. All still in there plastic bags, the red dot finder still had the plastic to pull out from the battery before use, and there were no marks at all on the dovetail even. 🙂

Why not with a deal like that 😀👍 Nice capture as well!

1 minute ago, tooth_dr said:

Gear image Bobby. A lot of potential with that new scope. 

I think there will be a few targets that may suit it with the 178. Globular clusters and things like the Dumbbell nebula, crab nebula maybe?

5 minutes ago, Craney said:

Makes a great telephoto lens with a DSLR as well.   

I sold mine,  and sort of wish I hadn't, even though I've  got  (n+1)**2 other scopes as well.

TBH the scope is literally brand new. It was too good to miss at £50.

Will give it a go on my DSLR at some point

I did notice that I couldn't fit the entire moon on the sensor of my 178, even with a 0.5 focal reducer attached to it. lol

Not to worry, guess I will need to learn how to do a mosaic and stitch it together. I am sure that my 127 mak can fit the whole disk on the sensor of the 178 although I do realise that the focal lengths and f ratios of the two scopes are different I believe.