Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mars and Saturn Conjunction 31/03 and 01/04

6 minutes ago, Neil H said:

You Hi can you give a newbie a clue of were to look is it South , South West 

Screen shot below shows it as being almost bang on South East. Jupiter should be bright and obvious. Just go down and left from there. Picture in my post above shows all three planets.

46E0466C-7868-493E-BB1A-EAA81B022BB9.thumb.png.b2907321458f12399814dfb68975d911.png

Edited by Littleguy80

11 minutes ago, Neil H said:

Thank you these are the 2 , I most want to see it may not be good as light pollution in that direction, I see it shows 5 am so I will get up at 4 and set up 

No problem. These are bright planets so light pollution shouldn’t be too much of a problem. The main thing you’ll need is a clear horizon as they’re quite low. Jupiter is first to rise around 4 followed by Saturn and then Mars just before 4:30. The picture above was taken at 5:30 to give an idea of how high they’ll be when. 

13 minutes ago, Neil H said:

Ok that will be nice to see ,as I am new there are lots of WOW moments

My first one seeing Jupiter was the thing that got me properly hooked on astronomy. The views I’ll be improve as it gets higher so stick with it. You don’t need dark adaptation for observing the planets in fact it’s better to not be dark adapted. Dusk and dawn with the lighter skies can often be the best times to see them, with the exception of Uranus and Neptune. 

7 minutes ago, Neil H said:

Well got up at 4am set up , well I could see the wall of a house behind me , looks like my WOW moment will have to wait for now 

Sorry to hear that. They'll all be rising a bit higher over the coming months so the WOW moment will come!