NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Talk to me about Solar with my current setup please :)

AndyThilo

Andy,

CAUTION!

The H alpha filters used in solar observing are a totally different animal to the night time filters.

They are multi element construction, containing an energy reduction filter, etalon and blocking/ sort filters to achieve a bandwidth of <1A. Unfortunately that's why they are very expensive.

The night time filters can be used in conjunction with a safe Baader Solar Film to improve contrast while viewing in white light. An O III filter gives similar results to the recommended Continuum filter.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Merlin66 said:

Andy,

CAUTION!

The H alpha filters used in solar observing are a totally different animal to the night time filters.

They are multi element construction, containing an energy reduction filter, etalon and blocking/ sort filters to achieve a bandwidth of <1A. Unfortunately that's why they are very expensive.

The night time filters can be used in conjunction with a safe Baader Solar Film to improve contrast while viewing in white light. An O III filter gives similar results to the recommended Continuum filter.

Yeah I have my Baader film, don't worry. I have a Continuum filter, I was just wondering that's all.

However I now have another issue, couldn't get focus with the 290, had to add in 3 more spacers between the camera and focuser to get focus. And now my EAF focuser seems to have died :(. I'm also very close with my ES102 scope @ 714mm. Arggg

1 minute ago, Merlin66 said:

Hmm

your gamma and gain look different to what I’d expect.

I don’t know your zero gain but assume around 120 and set gamma to 50.

Hi

Lots to learn :), just trying as I go, finding the sun without a finder was a challenge haha. It's certainly a challenge! Found a great YT tutorial on settings for disc and prominences.

Here's the capture details, pretty sure gamma should be 0?

Camera=ZWO ASI290MM
Filter=L
Profile=Sun
Filename=Sun_094432.ser
Date=110420
Start=094407.620
Mid=094432.690
End=094457.760
Start(UT)=084407.620
Mid(UT)=084432.690
End(UT)=084457.760
Duration=50.140s