NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

AZEQ6 capacitors

PadrePeace

Penny just dropped. The resistors aren't 270R they are R270! So of course they look like a short. R270 = 0.27ohms! Hence my comment on the value, "(although these seem on the high side?)" Spent years doing this stuff and missed something so obvious! Doesn't help with the problem though.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UPDATE

The suspect capacitors have been removed from the board and are still showing short, as the tech did wonder if the R270 Resistors were giving a false positive. 

We are now looking at replacing the two regulators and see what that reveals. 

More to follow as I get feedback. 

For a Capacitor to be shorted, as you say they are, there's probably a lot more failures that just the regulators, it may well be easier to get a replacement from OVL (Optical Vision Ltd. the importers) and get the added benefit of a USB port, doing away with any external adaptor....

On 30/03/2020 at 16:07, PadrePeace said:

Yes, you may well be right. My tech works on a no fix no fee basis  but there will come a time when I just need to bite the bullet and buy a board.

Your mount doesn't look old enough to be out of warranty. Have you contacted your supplier? 

Steve 

Steve
I appreciate your advice to get back to the supplier. That was in fact FLO but as the mounts second owner (originally purchased in May 2017) I’d given that one up. Getting the old AZEQ6-GT motherboard is not apparently possible anymore and I understand FLO don’t stock the USB style faceplate which would have been needed with a new style board. 

regards

Aaah. It’s a secondhand mount. Now I understand your situation. I know the board design was updated recently but I’ll be surprised if the original is no longer available. Unfortunately Sky-Watcher’s UK distributor has closed (Covid-19 concerns) but will likely open in a week or two. If you still need one then, please email us for price & availability.  

HTH, 

Steve 

Does seem to be a scatter-gun approach. Regulators are just that. They generally work or not. Your tech(?) should be able to check the board with volts on and easily check the voltage levels. Why not just accept that the mount works fine on slew speed 6 and get on with life till the present pandemic is over and then buy a new board and find out whether it is a board fault or not. Worry about fixing a front plate issue afterwards. Plenty of folk can bash a piece of metal or 3D print something to fix that issue.

For what it is worth Farnell have two of your chips in stock at 0.343 (x5) so £3 or so +VAT +P&P, the other in a pack of two is on back-order at £7.14 +VAT +P&P so lot would come to £15-16 or so. Back-order might be when the crisis is over or never if it is an item in short supply or now heading towards obsolescence........... https://www.microchipdirect.com/product/MIC2171WU-TR?productLoaded=true so July lead time from the maker.  Any tech worth his salt would have found this out for you. 

• 3 weeks later...

Whilst I appreciate the collection of recent thoughts on the skills of my Tech, he is doing this on a no fix no fee basis. Also, he has worked for people on this forum who recommended his services. He does this in his spare time to help the community overcome unnecessary costs on a range of Astro gear and is himself a gazer to boot.
There are very few out there that would put themselves out in this way potentially for no gain. I offered to source the components he said he needed to keep his time commitment down as he is a busy guy, as we all were up until recently.

If anyone knows of any other guys or girls willing to offer a fix it service for this kind of issue please post their details for our collective benefit. 

On 06/04/2020 at 10:26, Len1257 said:

Does seem to be a scatter-gun approach. Regulators are just that. They generally work or not. Your tech(?) should be able to check the board with volts on and easily check the voltage levels. Why not just accept that the mount works fine on slew speed 6 and get on with life till the present pandemic is over and then buy a new board and find out whether it is a board fault or not. Worry about fixing a front plate issue afterwards. Plenty of folk can bash a piece of metal or 3D print something to fix that issue.

For what it is worth Farnell have two of your chips in stock at 0.343 (x5) so £3 or so +VAT +P&P, the other in a pack of two is on back-order at £7.14 +VAT +P&P so lot would come to £15-16 or so. Back-order might be when the crisis is over or never if it is an item in short supply or now heading towards obsolescence........... https://www.microchipdirect.com/product/MIC2171WU-TR?productLoaded=true so July lead time from the maker.  Any tech worth his salt would have found this out for you. 

Got the gear needed from that very same supplier. But thanks for the post. 

• 4 weeks later...

As a final update, for anyone following this thread I am pleased to report that the board has been fixed and is now fully functioning. This required the replacement of the switching regulator and the two voltage regulators highlighted in the picture below. Big thanks to all of those who shared their advice and experience and helped me get this board back up and running.

The biggest thanks go to Rob Miller (FB linked below) who helped diagnose the issues and toiled over a hot soldering iron to bring this motherboard back to life. He carries out this kind of work for the Astro community as a hobby and will only charge his time if he fixes the item. That’s hard to beat. 

https://m.facebook.com/groups/1849691625242921?view=permalink&id=2575157922696284

Hopefully this thread will help someone else down the line. 

1. Diodes Inc, 3.3 V Linear Voltage Regulator, 1A, 1-Channel 3+Tab-Pin, SOT-223 AP1117E33G-13

2. Diodes Inc, 5 V Linear Voltage Regulator, 1A, 1-Channel 3+Tab-Pin, SOT-223 AP1117E50G-13

3. Microchip MIC2171WU-TR PWM Switching Regulator, 2.5 A, 115 kHz, Adjustable, 65 V, 5-Pin, TO-263

Clear skies to you all.

5C4DFC2A-1F8C-4982-8112-80BDD0A9573A.jpeg

On 05/04/2020 at 08:39, Carbon Brush said:

Are these questions related to the same mount?

If that is the case, then might I venture to suggest that either a complete new board, or different technician would be a better solution?

David.

I doubt that he would find many technicians willing to work on a no fix no fee basis, so I think that was a harsh comment given that there is nothing to lose if he is not able to fix it. But as it happens I see that the technician in question has completed the fix and the board is in full working order in any case. Always nice to see a happy ending.

Adam

Edited by Adam J

Thank you to @Adam J for your comments.
I have read through both threads again. Taking care to note not only my comments, but those of many other contributors.
My conclusion is that I don't think that my comments were harsh. Probably they represented what some others were thinking, but did not state.
I do not intend to hijack the thread will the lengthy explanation. That is on the way by PM.

David.

4 hours ago, Carbon Brush said:

I have read through both threads again. Taking care to note not only my comments, but those of many other contributors.
My conclusion is that I don't think that my comments were harsh. Probably they represented what some others were thinking, but did not state.
I do not intend to hijack the thread will the lengthy explanation. That is on the way by PM.

David.

I am just glad the OP is happy with the outcome.

Adam 

Edited by Adam J

4 hours ago, Carbon Brush said:

David.

David

I would suggest that making yourself a thread spokesman by “representing what some others where thinking but did not state” to justify your own bias is perhaps a little rude and helps no body. 

When I posted this thread I needed help and not attitude. Perhaps if you think I “should employ another technician” you would be so kind as to suggest one? That would help us all I’m sure.

Once again I offer my thanks to those that offered help and to SGL for giving us all a valuable forum where that can happen. That way we all win.