SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Exit pupil

bish

I used one in a 250 Dob and found the views good but a little washed out. However, the 24mm 82° was absolutely bang on the money. You don’t loose much FOV but you do gain in contrast. I was happy with the 30mm but found that the 24mm got a lot more use.

Hope that this helps.

Paul

I would tend to agree with Paul. It’s as much about the washed out background with light pollution as your eyes. If you love or observe under dark skies it would probably be good, and for filtered views the exit pupil can be useful, but I used my APM 20mm 100 degree more than my ES 30mm for those reasons. The 30mm is great when you want that extra bit of FOV though.

3 minutes ago, Paul73 said:

I used one in a 250 Dob and found the views good but a little washed out. However, the 24mm 82° was absolutely bang on the money. You don’t loose much FOV but you do gain in contrast. I was happy with the 30mm but found that the 24mm got a lot more use.

Hope that this helps.

Paul

Thanks Paul,

That may be the better option then. I hadn"t thought about it because I have the 68 degree 24mm. Could always sell the 68 degree if get on better with 82 degree

2 minutes ago, Stu said:

I would tend to agree with Paul. It’s as much about the washed out background with light pollution as your eyes. If you love or observe under dark skies it would probably be good, and for filtered views the exit pupil can be useful, but I used my APM 20mm 100 degree more than my ES 30mm for those reasons. The 30mm is great when you want that extra bit of FOV though.

Thanks Stu. It would mainly get used at home, which is very light polluted. Another vote for the 24mm.

3 minutes ago, bish said:

Thanks Stu. It would mainly get used at home, which is very light polluted. Another vote for the 24mm.

Have you thought about the APM 20mm? An excellent eyepiece and would give a darker background than the 24mm with similar FOV. Well priced too I think.

4 minutes ago, Stu said:

Have you thought about the APM 20mm? An excellent eyepiece and would give a darker background than the 24mm with similar FOV. Well priced too I think.

No I haven"t Stu, sounds good, I will have a look. Cheers.