Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sh2-183 The Monkfish Nebula in Cassiopeia

gorann

A very faint nebula from the Shapeless catalogue and possibly the last one I image this season - as it is time to focus everything on galaxies. In my 3.3 hours of RGB data it was nowhere to be seen, it only appeared after I added 3.3 hours of Ha. It has no name what I know but it reminds me of some kind of ugly monkfish about to swallow a blue star. The nebula can been seen near the top edge of Tom's @Tom OD mega mosaic of Cassiopeia.

Data collected with my Esprits side by side on the Mesu. Esprit 150 with ASI071 caught 38 x 5 min of RGB (gain 200) while the Esprit 100 with ASI1600 caught 13 x 15 min of Ha (gain 139, Baader 3.5 nm). So totally 6.6 hours of photons collected before the northen obsy wall got in the way.

Because I found it to be quite faint I also kept the image quite dark.

359656902_20200321Sh2-183HaRGBPS23smallSign.thumb.jpg.9496f2a29038dbbb19f759e818ae2df1.jpg

Edited by gorann
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, vineyard said:

Great name - once you see the fish with its beady dark left eye...if the filament that goes off towards the left corner was joined to the rest of the fish, it could be an angler fish!

Glad that you also see it - maybe the name could catch on:hello2: