SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The view north.

cotterless45

What a night to be out in self isolation, stargazing rocks ! Turned into a right milky sky , later only the brightest stars were on view. Very few signs of galaxies , but the stunning "ghost of Jupiter in Hydra " NGC 3242 was glorious. When we look at these , just think how amazing it must have been to have discovered them. 

Up to Leo and for any beginners , a lot of the named stars are glorious doubles , such as the lovely Regulus ( particularly stunning),Algieba and Denebola. Σ1447 gave a wonderful ghostly speck of a secondary ( SAO 81415). 

IMG_7535.thumb.JPG.3614592fc6444c9c82af00147cec3caf.JPGIMG_7536.thumb.JPG.f16a1a1ef5faf4bc9c354e02fab36f96.JPGUp to Leo Minor and another speck at Σ1374. There are binaries galore in Ursa Major . Σ1831 gives an arc of three stars , look at the last one and by averted peek , the delicate companion pops out. As does the companion of Σ1695.

Both ι Leonis ( SAO99587) and 25 Canum Ven. (SAO 63648) similar separations at 1.7" . 

Righto , enjoy the skies and 

Stay safe , Nick.   

• Like 16

I two spent some time on the doubles in Leo last night. I have not viewed them before. I could only really see them at x100 best as anything over that power was really wobbly.

After viewing Algieba I had a little read about this double. this quote completely blew me away "At a distance of 125 light years, the two stars are about 170AU apart (four times the distance between Pluto and the Sun)

What an incredible distance between them and you can just about split them!!!

Excellent viewing

Baz

• Like 5

Nice report as ever Nick :smiley:

I have a soft spot for Algieba and Leo generally because it was the first part of the sky that I explored when I got my first scope way back. I was so thrilled to see those 2 lovely golden orbs separated through the eyepiece of my old 60m refractor.

• Like 3