NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Rosette Nebula and my camera

robster

Hi,

I'm new to Astrophotography, but been bitten by the bug (see attached last night's attemt at M42 and friends, that I'm quite happy with for my second ever DSO picture!).

My work involves me having a Sony A9 Mk II and in the kit are a whole load of lenses, indluding a F5.6 200-600mm zoom. This is an exeptional camera, and I'm very lucky to have use of it. It's this setup that I did the M42 shot of.

As the weather will be clear again tonight, I want to attempt the Rosette Nebula. The problem is that my camera's maximum shutter speed is 30s - and most people are advising somewhere between 30 and 100 shots at between 120s and 240s (ISO1600).

I see my choces as being:

1) Shoot more lights at a maximum exposure of 30s each

2) Increase the ISO to 6400 (noise is pretty good on this camera, even with all noise reduction switched off)

3) A combination of 1 and 2 above.

There are a few aftermarket interval timers, that may allow longer shutter times, but I can't get one in time for this evening!!

Thoughts?

Thanks

Rob

M42.jpg

Edited by robster
more typos!
  • Like 7

Thanks Pankaj!

It was 100 X 10s exposures at ISO1600, 50 darks, 50 bias and 50 flats. Stacked in DSS and processed in PS. The optics of that lens though and the quality of that camera are truely astounding.

Hi, Rob,

Out of curiosity I had a browse about that camera - quite a piece of kit.  And it seemed to me strange that for such an advanced camera the maximum exposure time was 1/30 second. So more digging reveals that it can have a 'bulb' setting.  There may be an entry in the menu system, possibly controllable via USB or perhaps an external unit. Probably worth you doing a bit of digging yourself.  Nice pic by the way.

Cheers,

Peter

58 minutes ago, robster said:

Thanks for the lovely replies....but any suggestions what I do about the limitation to 30s?

Even if the camera has a hidden Bulb setting you would still need a remote release.

If you haven't got one then you are stuck with 30 seconds until you get one.

If you have got one then its going to be a long boring night pressing the button every few minutes!

Order an intervalometer! 

Personally I would stick with 30 seconds - whizz the ISO up to 6400 or even higher on that camera and leave it running as long as you can - the Rosette will be low down in the murk by about 2300hrs so you wont get long on it as its not really dark until about 20.30hrs. On the upside the Rosette has passed the Meridian by the time it goes dark so you dont have the 'flip' to worry about 😉  2.5hrs of subs should produce a result. I would reuse your calibration frames from last night unless you have changed anything in the optical train.

I look forward to seeing your image!

3 hours ago, petevasey said:

Hi, Rob,

Out of curiosity I had a browse about that camera - quite a piece of kit.  And it seemed to me strange that for such an advanced camera the maximum exposure time was 1/30 second. So more digging reveals that it can have a 'bulb' setting.  There may be an entry in the menu system, possibly controllable via USB or perhaps an external unit. Probably worth you doing a bit of digging yourself.  Nice pic by the way.

Cheers,

Peter

It's a professional sports camera (not that I use if for that, but it is ideally suited to my professional needs, which is why I have it). I guess most sports 'togs don't do 30s exposures!!!! Yes - it does have a bulb setting, so I've ordered a cheap intervalometer - might get it this side of next Easter if I'm lucky......Betelguese will have probably supanova'd by the time it arrives 🤣