Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skyawatcher AZEQ6-GT Dual Fit Saddle - some movement.

As per the title, when my SCT is mounted on the dual fit saddle on my AZEQ6-GT I have noticed that there is a slight bit of give between the saddle and the mount, around half an inch or so, even when everything is tightened. Does anyone know how to fix this? I am assuming the saddle should absolutely not move at all as this would mean the heavy scope could shift due to gravity depending on its position.

Inkedk188543906.2_LI.jpg

The rear of the saddle is a round "puck". I can't remember whether the puck is integral to the saddle or bolted to it, I THINK it's integral. That round puck fits into a round recess on the mount itself and is held in place by 3 grubscrews. It sounds as though these grubscrews might be loose. If so, do not put a scope anywhere near it until all is secure, 1/2 inch movement sounds like a lot...

Edited by Captain Magenta
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

What saddle are you using? as a standard SW (wedge shaped) will be gripped securely, and I have the same mount, with no issues clamping saddle etc...

It's the standard one that came with the Mount. I dropped the mount head many months ago. This could be collateral damage. It doesn't move 'freely' but it moves easily enough to make it a problem...

2 minutes ago, Captain Magenta said:

The rear of the saddle is a round "puck". I can't remember whether the puck is integral to the saddle or bolted to it, I THINK it's integral. That round puck fits into a round recess on the mount itself and is held in place by 3 grubscrews. It sounds as though these grubscrews might be loose. If so, do not put a scope anywhere near it until all is secure, 1/2 inch movement sounds like a lot...

I wonder if this is something that can be fixed, DIY?

It may be that the grub screws have worn down or even scored the inside of the receptacle that the puck goes into. If so you can try longer grub screws. I think they are either M4 or M5 but I may be wrong...

Yes thank you :). I was wondering why my GoTo wasn't really working accurately after alignment. The SCT must have been sliding out of position regularly. Imaging with an 11" SCT is indeed a challenge. I can't wait until I move to a widefield refractor imaging setup. I expect it will be far easier.

8 hours ago, WicklowSkies76 said:

Yes thank you :). I was wondering why my GoTo wasn't really working accurately after alignment. The SCT must have been sliding out of position regularly. Imaging with an 11" SCT is indeed a challenge. I can't wait until I move to a widefield refractor imaging setup. I expect it will be far easier.

🙀

• 3 weeks later...

Had this exact same problem today solved by your postings, just tightened up the three grub screws only 3mm expected them to be more substantial,

Still that fixed the movement I had, I am still running in Alt AZ one day I'll try EQ mode.

Thanks to all,

Cliff

• Like 1