Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which constellations to learn?

I'm pretty much a newbie and mainly interested in visual observing at present.

Trying to give some structure to learning the sky. What would you say are the 10 or 12 (or more) most important constellations in astronomy? I'm using binoculars and a small telescope.

Thanks, Patrick

For the winter months my number one choice is and will be Orion. As for the remaining 9 or 11 (or more) important constellations, then I will have to pass, as I mainly view solar (white light), lunar & planets.

• Like 1

It'll depend on what part of the sky you can see and the time of year. We're limited by streetlights to observing the Northern horizon, so each month or so different constellations are visible from our back garden. I often go out at night when it's too late to set up the scope with a pair of binoculars & a map, and just try to work out what I can see.

Ursa Major, or at least the Plough part of it is a must, as that will help identify Polaris (useful if using an EQ mount).
Cassiopia - lots to see, but also useful to help find the Andromeda Galaxy by following the direction the larger 'V' pattern points to in the direction of the Andromeda constellation
Perseus - I love picking out the asterism around Algol & has a lot of stars at the Mirphak end - and useful for locating the double cluster
Taurus - nice busy area around Aldeberan, but also helps to locate the wonderful Pleiades (Seven Sisters) asterism/reflection nebula (don't expect to see the nebulosity though)
Auriga - fairly bright, so easy to pick out & has a few faint clusters which are barely discernable from our garden
Cygnus - packed with nice things
Lyra - small but neat constellation. Last year or so when we started out, I spent ages trying to find M57... but it wasn't until we'd upraded to a much bigger scope that I managed to do so (it is tiny)
Orion - unless we're away, I don't get a good view of this, but the nebula in the middle of the sword is a must
Hercules - kind of a hard one for us as it's faint, but with bins it's possible to pick out  the M13 globular cluster
Gemini - not as exciting to me, but it's one I'll try and pick out M35 in
Cepheus - quite faint, but has lots going on inside the constellation & the garnet star can be found here too.

A good book / map is useful - I use the pocket Sky & Telescope one, an old edition of the Cambridge star atlas and the Collins Discovery guide, in addition to Stellarium.

Cheers
Ivor

• Like 2

Patrick I assume you will be observing from home and therefore which is your clearest horizon away from light pollution?

Download https://stellarium.org/ and it will show you all the constellations from your home position.

If your southern horizon is good then check out the constellation that transits at the best time for your observing. For example tonight at 9pm - Gemini and Cancer are either side of the south transit line.

• Like 1

I think u should get a planisphere and a good book maybe night watch. 

Besides having great info on a ton of different things and topics, it also has 20 map charts.

Use the planisphere at your time date see what constellations are in good view then open the book charts to that page

Joejaguar 

• Like 1

I know the Zodiac signs better than the others. If you know a few people's birthdays and their signs, you'll start to know which constellation follows which.  Now I'd like to look at Leo with 5 Messier galaxies and the Hamburger plus the beautiful double Algeiba. Then to Virgo and galaxies galore plus the double Porrima and so on. It gives me something to look forward to. Of course Orion is also a must. You could also make a good case for Ursa Major and Cassiopeia as they are bright and always around.

• Like 1

Many thanks for those useful replies. My front garden is badly affected by street lights and neighbours' security lights. The street lights go off at midnight, but unfortunately I'm very much a lark rather than an owl! My back garden has less direct light with only the background city light pollution, but it's 90% obscured by overhanging trees. We will probably be moving house this year and one of my criteria for the new house is good observing. 

I do have books and planisphere. Just wanted people's views on some important constellations so I can make a plan.

Once again many thanks for suggestions.

Patrick

There is a very good series on YouTube called "Learn The Sky."  They go constellation by constellation and do a very good job.  They also recommend Orion as a "roadmap" to the other winter sky constellation.  Just got to youtube and search "Learn The Sky"

Edited by JonCarleton
  • Like 2

On 13/03/2020 at 12:23, PatrickO said:

Many thanks for those useful replies. My front garden is badly affected by street lights and neighbours' security lights. The street lights go off at midnight, but unfortunately I'm very much a lark rather than an owl! My back garden has less direct light with only the background city light pollution, but it's 90% obscured by overhanging trees. We will probably be moving house this year and one of my criteria for the new house is good observing. 

I do have books and planisphere. Just wanted people's views on some important constellations so I can make a plan.

Once again many thanks for suggestions.

Patrick

Ensure one of the gardens is facing south, (this is where the objects are highest at midnight). My personal preference would be the back garden, for your own safety and security.

• Like 1