Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Moonlite focuser to cure sag in stock Skywatcher focuser ?

Spaced Out

Hi All

Just wondering if anyone has solved the problem of focuser sag with a heavy imaging train on a stock SW focuser by swapping over to a Moonlite focuser ?

My camera and filter wheel weighs in at around 1.28KG and the stock SW focuser on my 130 PDS doesn’t like it. I’m considering Moonlite as a replacement but have seen mixed reviews, some people love them but a few say they are useless ! It’s a lot of money for me so I am keen to hear some success stories before I commit to saving up the ££££ for purchase.

Thanks 👍

I have a moonlite on my esprit 80, it holds focus very well and it carries my atik, starlight xpress filterwheel etc, I know from reading that Olly is less than impressed..

I feel your pain thou as I've experienced focuser sag with my previous scope 

Edited by newbie alert
Added info
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, dannybgoode said:

I have a Moonlite on my Meade SCT but then a Baader SteelTrack on my 150P. Works very well and worth considering. A bit cheaper too. 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/baader-diamond-steeltrack-focusers/baader-steeltrack-diamond-nt-for-newtonians.html

Thanks for this.

I think I'd prefer the steeltrack but I don't think they make a fitting kit for the SW 130 PDS ? I don't really want to be drilling holes and bodging things !

43 minutes ago, newbie alert said:

I have a moonlite on my esprit 80, it holds focus very well and it carries my atik, starlight xpress filterwheel etc, I know from reading that Olly is less than impressed..

I feel your pain thou as I've experienced focuser sag with my previous scope 

Thanks for this. Is it rock solid ? I guess your imaging train is a similar weight to mine then (1.28kg ish)

24 minutes ago, Spaced Out said:

Thanks for this.

I think I'd prefer the steeltrack but I don't think they make a fitting kit for the SW 130 PDS ? I don't really want to be drilling holes and bodging things !

Fair. I just drilled holes in my 150P though - it’s easy enough to do and the focuser is very good. 

I too got fed up with faffing around with one that had a load of flex and stuff in it and this sorted it right out. 

• Like 1