NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Ascotron Refractor

I have been given an old Ascotron refractor on a basic EQ mount with wooden tripod to restore. Has anyone ever heard of Ascotron telescopes? It takes .96" eyepieces which are all beyond repair apart from one. It is a Japanese 60mm 800mm focal length scope and from what I have seen through it the optics seem really good. It was apparently bought in Australia in the 1960's.

IMG_20200304_213342[1].jpg

IMG_20200304_213435[1].jpg

• Like 2

Mfd. by Towa, should be a good performer, by reputation, but be sure to star test it to confirm before beginning any restoration labor. Hybrid .965 / 5/4" diagonals are available to allow modern ep use. Fun to use old gear if the optics are OK.

Good luck.

• Like 1

I have already performed a star test and using the only eyepiece that works (a 20 mm) the stars were pinpoint. I have made an adaptor so I can use my 1.25" eyepieces, just need a diagonal now. All I have done so far is strip the focuser and clean the 50 year old grease that was more like glue off and re-grease. The focuser is very good quality and is now smooth as silk.

Yep manufactured by Towa, I have its bigger brother a Towa 339 80mm F15. These telescopes can be very good. Glas you've made an adapter, modern eyepieces bring out the best in these old telescopes. Enjoy.

Dave

The scope looks very similar to my 1960's Tasco 60mm F/13.3 refractor. Possibly from the same manufacturer. My Tasco has a good objective lens but the stock eyepieces and rather wobbly mount don't really do it justice. I've tried it on a good mount and with better quality eyepieces and the objective performs as a good 60mm achromat should.