Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A bright Moon, but still more fun with the 22x85s

I think the seeing and transparency here tonight were excellent. I didn't consider any imaging with the bright Moon up and wasn't even going to try the 22x85s, but decided I'd have a peep at the Moon around 10pm, which turned into a 2+ hour session.

The Moon looked superb, showing excellent detail all over, but especially the Mare Imbrium region, bounded by Montes Apenninus in the East and the crater Plato and Montes Alpes in the North, with fine views of craters Archimedes, with Copernicus just coming into view at the terminator. The peaks of Montes Alpes, Montes Caucasus and Montes Apenninus really sparkled. Mare Serenitatis, Mare Tranquillitatis, Mare Fecunditatis and Mare Crisium all showed subtle shading and good detail. Lovely views were had of crater Clavius and the Southern Highlands. I am still surprised how much I enjoy viewing the Moon through binoculars, though it did leave me wanting to open up the obs and turn the C14 towards it either to view, or to image as I suspect the conditions were ideal for either experience.

Next I decided to see if I could find some galaxies in Canes Venatici, that I didn't look for the other night. With a very bright sky my expectations were low, so I was pleasantly surprised to find M63, M94 and M106, the latter surprising bright and clearly showing it's oval spiral shape. M51 was easily found with the two lobes of it's whirlpool shape clearly seen. M101 was more difficult, but still found as a faint, but fairly large smudge. I was then blown away by the clarity of M81 & M82; I can't believe how clear these two were with such a bright Moon, the best I have seen them in binoculars, affirming my assessment of the excellent transparency tonight. I took a look at globular clusters M3, M13 and M92 rising in the East, again much clear than I expected, then the Coma Star Cluster (Melotte 111) which was a fine sight, filling the FOV and some. Seeing this tempted me over to M45, which was much better seen than my last session, now that the Moon had moved away somewhat and from there it was over to the Double Cluster in Perseus always spectacular, followed by several open clusters in Cassiopeia, including M103, NGC663 and the Owl Cluster NGC457.  With Leo now well up in the South, I headed back there picking off the two Leo triplets, M65, M66, NCG3628 and M95, M96, M105.

Lastly I headed back for another 10 mins or so with Moon, still delightful before calling it a wrap. All in all it was a superb session leaving me wanting more and I now can't wait for a clear, transparent, Moonless night so that I can really put these binoculars through their paces.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Ships and Stars said:

Wow, excellent report! You've managed quite a good session with the Apollos, especially on the galaxies I think. I love those nights when you're not sure it's going to amount to a great deal, then turns out to be quite memorable. Nice one! 

Thanks, I just saw your report. I also tried for the NGC3190 Leo quartet group, but not a sniff and I have my doubts that I'd be able to see them with the binos even when the sky is really dark, transparent and Moonless - 3193 may just about be possible, certainly it would be a good test....

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ships and Stars said:

PS may I ask what tripod/mount you are using with the 22x85s? Do you think it would handle 7kg? Here's to the next new moon, have to make the most of it, spring is fast approaching. 

I have the Orion Monster Parallelogram Mount https://www.telescope.com/Orion-Monster-Parallelogram-Binocular-Mount-amp-Tripod/p/114271.uts

It's rated up to 15lbs, which is a tad less than 7kg. I asked Orion about going above 15lb and they were understandably cautious about making that recommendation. I was considering a pair weighing 7.1 kg (15.6 lb) and this is the exact reply that I got....

"....exceeding the maximum weight capacity for a mount doesn't necessarily mean it completely will not work, however, it does mean that you are going to run into some challenges - namely in that the binos are going to have a tendency to sway and be a bit shaky, reducing the overall usefulness for visibility. If you go too far over weight capacity, there is also the possibility that the whole thing will just fall over, but we're talking less than 10% over weight capacity here, so while I can't guarantee it wouldn't do that, it is much more likely that you are looking at the reduced stability issues instead...."

My Apollo 22x85s weigh ~5kg and they are susceptible to some shake when there is any wind, so I would think that heavier binos are likely to suffer even more on this mount. The disadvantage of the P-Mount is that there is a large moment arm either side of the pivot point, but of course it is that distance from the tripod head that makes them so good for observing from a seated position in a recliner.

I hope this helps.

Edited by geoflewis
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, geoflewis said:

Mare Serenitatis, Mare Tranquillitatis, Mare Fecunditatis and Mare Crisium

I was going to say that you had a bit of a Mare, but.................

Wow what a night you had, and a nice read/report Geof.

Now I can't wait for you to have a Moonless night, so that you can really put those binoculars through their paces.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Mick H said:

Now I can't wait for you to have a Moonless night, so that you can really put those binoculars through their paces.

Here's my two.  Whoops wrong type of mare - I'll get my coat!😂

download.jpg

1 hour ago, Mick H said:

22 minutes ago, merlin100 said:

Here's my two.  Whoops wrong type of mare - I'll get my coat!😂

download.jpg

@Mick H @merlin100 Thanks both.

@merlin100 that's a lovely detailed picture of M51, but it was very fuzzy and looked a bit more like this in the eyepiece....

1452055598_2Mares.jpg.4a7619e3d18b143155114ca7313f75df.jpg

😜😏

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, geoflewis said:

My Apollo 22x85s weigh ~5kg and they are susceptible to some shake when there is any wind, so I would think that heavier binos are likely to suffer even more on this mount. The disadvantage of the P-Mount is that there is a large moment arm either side of the pivot point, but of course it is that distance from the tripod head that makes them so good for observing from a seated position in a recliner.

I hope this helps.

Thanks Geoff! I'm actually thinking about using my MIG welder this summer to make a P-mount as I have some bigger bins on the way (my aperture fever has now spread to binoculars and I can't pass up a good deal on second-hand astro gear).

I'm hoping to make something rather professional looking, over some DIY monstrosity, but reality will probably see me in the middle somewhere! Still, my original summer project was mirror grinding, so this is bound to be easier. I was also thinking about making a simple dobson-type mount for binoculars using a fork-mount, but not sure on that??

Have a good one and catch you soon! I just subscribed to the Binocular Sky newsletter, so guess I am getting into the bins a bit more lately.

Cheers!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ships and Stars said:

Thanks Geoff! I'm actually thinking about using my MIG welder this summer to make a P-mount as I have some bigger bins on the way (my aperture fever has now spread to binoculars and I can't pass up a good deal on second-hand astro gear).

I'm hoping to make something rather professional looking, over some DIY monstrosity, but reality will probably see me in the middle somewhere! Still, my original summer project was mirror grinding, so this is bound to be easier. I was also thinking about making a simple dobson-type mount for binoculars using a fork-mount, but not sure on that??

Have a good one and catch you soon! I just subscribed to the Binocular Sky newsletter, so guess I am getting into the bins a bit more lately.

Cheers!

That's a great idea if you have the tools and skills, both of which are lacking in my case 🙄. I did think of making some wooden ones following a recipe that I saw on the Oz forum 'Ice in Space', but that project never got off the ground. I've attached the link in case it gives you some design ideas...

https://www.iceinspace.com.au/63-383-0-0-1-0.html

Cheers

Edited by geoflewis
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Geoff, the MIG welder has been quite handy, it's actually pretty easy once you've tacked a few bits of metal together and it does stainless as well as mild steel. I have a Clarke 135TE from Machine Mart, liken it to modern day alchemy, I'm still amazed at the process. The welding arc is around 10,000 degrees C, so watch your eyes and fingers! I do all my welding outside, so it's very weather dependent, much like another hobby I know...

My biggest problem is time, but once I get started it's generally fast going. Designing it first and then having all the nuts and bolts, etc together ordered and waiting is the way to do it.

Definitely one for a build thread!

I'll probably buy a second-hand video tripod or AZ4 in the meantime.

Catch you soon!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

Maybe Christmas is NOT the time to buy them

You buy when you when the time is right Geof.

I watched this: 

And thought wow thats a good way to enjoy Astronomy.

Oh and, sorry to jump on your thread.

Edited by Mick H
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mick H said:

You buy when you when the time is right Geof.

I watched this: 

And thought wow thats a good way to enjoy Astronomy.

Oh and, sorry to jump on your thread.

Hi Mick, no apologies needed, you didn't 'jump on my thread' and yep, it was pretty much that video that persuaded me to buy them. I also had a few email exchanges with Orion, in particular about payload capacity and they were very responsive and helpful., not trying to oversell them. They arrived from the Netherlands about 3 days after I placed the order, very well packaged, so I thought the service was excellent all round.

• Like 1

On 04/03/2020 at 02:17, geoflewis said:

I have the Orion Monster Parallelogram Mount https://www.telescope.com/Orion-Monster-Parallelogram-Binocular-Mount-amp-Tripod/p/114271.uts

It's rated up to 15lbs, which is a tad less than 7kg. I asked Orion about going above 15lb and they were understandably cautious about making that recommendation. I was considering a pair weighing 7.1 kg (15.6 lb) and this is the exact reply that I got....

[snip]

The disadvantage of the P-Mount is that there is a large moment arm either side of the pivot point, but of course it is that distance from the tripod head that makes them so good for observing from a seated position in a recliner.

There'll be a review of the Monster in one of the Astro mags in the next couple of months. 🙂

I don't know, not having tried it with anything as heavy as that, but I suspect it would be safe with 7kg.

As for the long moment arm, it's supplied with two counterweights and you can experiment with their positions on the CW arm to eliminate any resonance between the two sides and get maximum mutual damping - worked with a lighter bino. (For those that haven't seen the Monster, the weights don't have to be together, so you can maintain balance by moving one closer and one further away).

As an alternative for bigger loads, if you can get hold of a 2nf hand (Larry has retired) Universal Astronomics T-Mount or Millennium mount, they hold a heck of a lot more.

On 04/03/2020 at 10:29, Ships and Stars said:

If you're looking for ideas for your build, the 10-Micron Leonardo is a really nice rigid P-mount, that incorporates some good ideas worth emulating.

Edited by BinocularSky
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, BinocularSky said:

As for the long moment arm, it's supplied with two counterweights and you can experiment with their positions on the CW arm to eliminate any resonance between the two sides and get maximum mutual damping - worked with a lighter bino. (For those that haven't seen the Monster, the weights don't have to be together, so you can maintain balance by moving one closer and one further away).

Thanks Steve, yes, that is what I've done, but it's not possible (nor do I wish) to move the binos any closer to the tripod head, so there is some but completely tolerable shake with the 22x85s, whereas the 15x70 were rock solid. For anyone interested here a couple of pics of my set up.

Binos_P-Mount1.thumb.JPG.d1857f58804c802b0aca51bfa345404d.JPGBinos_P-Mount2.thumb.JPG.b35d3dd5b85516fe5d3f38e37747cad6.JPG

.... and yes, my patio does need cleaning 😏

• Like 2