NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher EQ5 Power Problem?

rob_r

Hi, I recently invested in a EQ5 GOTO mount from FLO. I eventually got around to unpacking it and building it. The issue is that when I switch it on, the Synscan hand controller lights up but the display is blank. I have not even gone through the setup as yet. In addition, I can move the mount head with the arrow keys but only for the first initial minute after the power is turned on. Subsequent presses to move the head just result in a buzzing sound and no movement. I am running it off a portable power tank that outputs 12v DC, I checked the power requirements for the EQ5 and it states 11-15v DC.

Would I be better off running this mount from a mains supply? This is not a problem in the back yard as I have both the garage and garden shed have power, I just need to find a suitable plug adaptor and connection. Is it a low power issue? I left my power tank charging overnight and retested this morning but no change. I get the impression it is power related due to the tank not providing sufficient power but wanted to confirm this first. I have been using the AZ GTI mount for the past year or so now which only as a requirement of 7.5v DC. Is there anything else I could try with a view to narrowing down the problem just in case it is something else entirely.

Thanks in advance.

is the powertank actually putting out 12v, as in have you checked with a meter? and also check it wile it has a load attached. I assume the red LED is blinking on the SynScan also?

I run mine either mains or via a LiPo pack through a 12v buck converter and it works fine, but then I first got it and tried a couple of used 17AH lead batteries they failed to do much for more than a minute or so. But then these had a failing cell so wasn't too surprised after they'd served 3+ years in UPS by then.

If you have a 12v regulated supply available then worth trying that and see if it sorts things, the type CCTV cameras come with will work fine, only needs to be 2A capable for slewing, <1A for powering up and slow adjustments.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. I tried connecting the handset via the USB connector to my laptop, still no joy. I think I will try and find an adaptor to supply the correct voltage and current from the mains rather via the power tank. 

• 2 weeks later...