Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Venus with a smartphone

Hi All 

so last night i took some pics of Venus with my s9+ and when i zoomed in on my laptop i realised there are some features in the pics and i was wondering if these light/dark swirls are actual Venus features or just camera zoom distortions. 

thanks

ps. How much do you like my Forum name ? :))

1931474116_FlorinonMars.JPG.91fa5a3bab9e1e4b40ff1e984933ee64.JPG

311336758_Venus1.jpg.5f0094d44099eb6a90b931a93478afed.jpg

726094630_Venus2.jpg.df25855405e71034ae560db3c1ae0b71.jpg

802146968_Venus3.jpg.ef50df20049ddd788d8089057cc0b2b9.jpg

To me that doesn't looks focussed, and any shading is just an artefact.

This is an admittedly poor image through my scope taken with a smartphone, which shows the phase which is currently clear to see but which doesn't show in your image which makes me think it is out of focus.

PSX_20200208_175804.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

As mentioned above, the phone images of Venus are out of focus. You have created the same effect as defocusing a telescope to check its collimation, where you see multiple concentric rings. Here's one I took in late February showing the phase. This was through my scope at 2 metres focal length........

2020_venus1.jpg

Despite Venus being very bright, it is also very small. The following picture shows it in omparison to the Moon, both at the same focal length. The only way you'll see detail is with an Ultra-Violet filter, good seeing, decent magnification, good focus and a stacked video. My Venus images were through in Infra-red pass filter and were as stated on the picture, 5% of 50,000 frames stacked. Don't be put off however, astro-imaging is a real challenge.

2020_venus2.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, quaoar said:

FWIW Here's a Venus live video through my 28" with an iPhone. I've never been able to see anything other than a white disc anytime I've ever looked at Venus.

Not dissimilar to views I get, although larger image scale. I wonder what would happen if you stacked the video? Would sharpen it up I guess but still no surface detail.

• Like 1

I'm not at all into the processing side of things but if anyone out there wants to please feel free to have your way with any of my videos. I think I probably would need some filters that I don't have to discern any cloud features. 

• Like 1