Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Telescope Tripod Fixing/Weight Distribution

Greetings Group, 

Okay, so over the last four weekends I have been constructing a tripod dolly over at my folks place. It's the small details they say you miss, right? I see on line these videos where everyone just roooolls out of their garage to a marked spot and ta da! So, lets say, I don't have a garage and the dolly is too big to fit in the storage room with a standard door frame. *(yes I have pictures). 

My question is - If I was to move the leveling legs all thread to the spot indicated by the arrow - would that work? I am trying to figure out weight wise and anything else that I may not be thinking of. I need to shorten the overall tube length so I can get in the door, I hope. 

Thoughts? 

(Probably 10 hours of work, some welding by dad, steel was scrap (at dads), wheels and other parts about $70)

Thanks in advance, 

Tom B. 

Tripod fix.jpg

20200220_082632.jpg

Hello Tom, 

Good to hear from you.., 

You certainly can do that - however do bear in mind that the wider the circumference of the leveling legs, the more stable your rig will be. 

Additionally, you may want to implement some form of landing pad that somewhat wider than the small black-coloured caps on the ends of the leveling rods.., This will not only aid in increasing stability of each leg, but also mitigate against the legs sinking into softer ground. 

Hope that helps., 

Best.., 

bsdsgl84 

1 hour ago, MarkAR said:

How about weld coupling nuts to the side by the round cup pieces and move the wheels towards the centre to clear them.

177210024_Tripodfix.thumb.jpg.c79e38f14b0778fd6172353ea54118b3.jpg

Oh, I like this idea. Means I can keep the stability for the rig, and minor adjusting of wheels. Sweet! Thanks. 

If you shorten the dolly spars beyond the tripod leg then you'll also need to move the tripod legs and cups inward, which will prevent you from using the tripod spreader. This, along with the narrower footprint, might make for a very wobbly set up. 

Maybe you could test that before cutting anything... move the cups and the levelling threads inwards and load up the scope and try it out. If it's fine then cut the spars down and move the wheels

7 hours ago, CraigT82 said:

If you shorten the dolly spars beyond the tripod leg then you'll also need to move the tripod legs and cups inward, which will prevent you from using the tripod spreader. This, along with the narrower footprint, might make for a very wobbly set up. 

Maybe you could test that before cutting anything... move the cups and the levelling threads inwards and load up the scope and try it out. If it's fine then cut the spars down and move the wheels

Yeah, may have to test a few things like you mentioned. Although any of these ideas are being pushed at the moment, work space is not available now. Ugh. Dislike the waiting part. I may have to bring in the tripod legs slightly anyway. Thanks. 

8 hours ago, Juicy6 said:

Maybe something like this to reduce play in threads:

stjarnvred-wn7d.jpg.7ef56de2941ccb6f2cc44b92572e22d5.jpg

Christer, Sweden

The only place I did not check for a handle like this was at Grainger. I went to several places around town and no one sells enough of "handles" to keep them in stock. I will see if they have any. Thanks.