Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Quick sun this morning 26 Feb

vineyard

Hello,

It was such a sunny morning today that I couldn't resist (and therefore apologies to all for hexing the bloomin' clouds in).  I noticed a distinct prominence on the "SE" disk (4-5 o'clock when viewed through the EP - so I guess that means SW and 7-8 o'clock in real life?).  Quickly put an ASI120MM mini in.  I actually took an AVI file this time (but by the time I was going to do the high-gain capture the fluffy stuff was in so I'm still going to have to wait before trying @MalVeauX recommended way for that as per his video).

Processed on AS!3 for best 33% of about 330 frames.  Then to GIMP to crop & create two layers.  One layer left untouched once levels tightened a bit, the other maxed out on the curve to see if anything was caught.  Then selection by colour on that layer to extract the disk and the prominence, and then merged back to create a single image.  Colourised in GIMP, with a bit more tweaking on the colour & balance in LR.

Still v clumsy and not v aesthetic (my sense of colour is idiosyncratic shall we say), but practice is the intention!  (I think that orangeish tinge around the edge of the disk & the prom is from my amateurish layering - I suspect I didn't get the layering-transparency and colour-matching right?).

Cheers all,

Vin

(PS - a v weird thing: I tried to use FireCapture for the imaging, but FC wouldn't recognise the ASI120MM mini?  So I used ASICAP instead, but has that happened for anyone else before - I have come across some apparently isolated incidents on google...I know the ASI120MM mini does get recognised by EKOS as well, so this seems to be an FC issue?)

Sun 200226 AS unconv GIMP cropped layered LR.jpg

Edited by vineyard
  • Like 3