Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NGC2903 LRGB 'close in'

tomato

Hot on the heels of @HunterHarling's excellent widefield image recently posted, here is 8.57 hrs on NGC 2903, a record integration time for me. I collected enough data for 10+ hrs, but the subs taken at low altitude were not great, and I think a better result was obtained by leaving them out, particularly as I'm imaging at 0.47 arcsec/pixel.

Although reasonably bright and not too far away from other galaxies listed in his catalogue, Charles Messier strangely missed this one.  Some 88 thousand light years across and 24 million light years distant, NGC 2903 is  apparently considered to be not too dissimilar to our Milky Way.

Can anyone enlighten me on the identity of the diffuse object in the top LH corner of the image? I presume it is an elliptical galaxy, I uploaded the image to Astrometry.net but no luck.

Capture Details:

Lum 223 x 90 secs ASI178

RGB 40 x 90 secs each ASI 178

Dual Esprit 150/Mesu 200 rig

Calibrated and stacked in APP, processed in APP and GIMP.

Thanks for looking

NGC2903Finalv2.jpg

• Like 11

3 minutes ago, Laurin Dave said:

Very nice, your dual rig is clearly working well.. 

Dave

Thanks Dave, yes it is starting to fire on all cylinders, so to speak.

I was particularly pleased that around half the subs were taken after  the recent storms went through when it was still very breezy. There is no way I could have captured them without having invested in the dome.

• Like 2