NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

A Small Galaxy: NGC 2903 (WIP)

HunterHarling

This is the luminescence stack of about 6 hours of NGC 2903. I shot this one in Leo Constellation while I was waiting for the Triplet to rise:) I'll hopefully get the RGB data tonight and finish it. I found about 10 known asteroids in the field using Tycho software, pretty interesting. The dim galaxy directly above NGC2903 is magnitude 18.00, PGC27115. The first image is a severe crop.

ASI 1600mm

FSQ106

L: 50x300s 

Leo Constellation

Thanks for looking.

1686835449_NGC2903.thumb.jpg.b36e5047b64344d892e2da6ce956484d.jpg

Full frame:

NGC2903FULL.thumb.jpg.be7c9d6127e43075d52fc044da0e55af.jpg

• Like 12

Wow--the FSQ 106 and the ASI 1600, coup;ed with your acquisition and processing skill ARE AWESOME!  the luminance looks great.  I recall now that the RGB will impart a chaotic nature to the disc and core--but you have certainly processed the lum to be very structured.  I will have to add this to my goals.  Its amazing how the full frame looks just as detailed despite its reduced size.  I am always in a quandary whether to crop or not.  Based on your full frame...no need, indeed!

Rodd

• Thanks 1

On 02/02/2020 at 07:45, tomato said:

Nice, I’ve just started imaging this galaxy myself, it’s  hard to see how Charles Messier missed it from his catalogue when other objects of similar size and brightness close by were included.

Yes, it is a bright galaxy compared to some.

On 03/02/2020 at 06:58, Rodd said:

Wow--the FSQ 106 and the ASI 1600, coup;ed with your acquisition and processing skill ARE AWESOME!  the luminance looks great.  I recall now that the RGB will impart a chaotic nature to the disc and core--but you have certainly processed the lum to be very structured.  I will have to add this to my goals.  Its amazing how the full frame looks just as detailed despite its reduced size.  I am always in a quandary whether to crop or not.  Based on your full frame...no need, indeed!

Rodd

Thanks Rodd! I was surprised by how we resolved the galaxy was, even before deconvolution.

I'm really hoping that weather will allow me to finish this one soon and add the RGB.