NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Home from home setup?

As many of you know I'm currently studying part-time for a PhD with the Open University.  I generally work from home, but it can be a bit isolated, so I've decided to spent a few days every 3 or 4 weeks in Milton Keynes.  A couple of trips ago it was due to be clear so I looked for somewhere which might be ok for viewing.  I'm using Airbnb, and found somewhere on the western edge of MK which turned out to be pretty good 🙂   The owner is happy to cooperate (eg she let me switch off their external Christmas lights!), and I think next time she wants a look too! For me, the biggest advantage is that it has a really low flat southern horizon - so much better than my tree-obstructed views at home.

So, I'm thinking of putting together a kit package that I primarily use for MK - so I can leave it packed and ready to go.  I take the car, so space/weight isn't really an issue, but easy set up and pack up would be good.  I'm thinking planetary and maybe double-stars would make good targets.  So what scope/mount combination would you go for? and what would you put in a small eyepiece case?

Thanks

Helen

• Like 1

Perhaps a little mak, with a driven mount.  A good diagonal and 3 good eyepieces to suit low, med & high power.

Maybe....a 127 mak on the AZ GTI mount if just for visual?  Not sure how steady that is, but there's got to be a review out there.  

• Thanks 1

Cant think of anything better than your FC-100DC on a Porta II mount Helen :icon_biggrin:

I find my 7.2 - 21.5 zoom plus 2.25x Baader barlow plus a 30mm eyepiece for wide field ticks a lot of boxes eyepiece-wise.

• Like 1

Thanks both 🙂

I took my Tak on previous trips, and it is lovely.  

My porta is currently on loan to Ben's school.

But maybe the giro would be a good alternative - I could maybe run the Tak and a mak side by side then 🤔.

Thanks for the eyepiece suggestions John - I've got a baader zoom, but not used it with a Barlow.

My longest eyepiece is the wo 28 handgrenade, or the lovely 24 pan.  So maybe a lighter weight 30 might be in my future to avoid balance challenges. Birthday coming soon 😉

Helen

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bingevader said:

:D

Oooh, sorry Helen!

I'll get a move on with the dob base! ;)

No worries at all Ben - keep it as long as you need it!  I think the giro gives me more flexibility (and it works on a more compact photo tripod)

Helen