SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

SHK 85 in lynx

Mike JW

Tonight I started my journey finding the SHK galaxy groups.

I used my 15" Dob and the ultrastar. The group are circled - 10 of them. I manually cleaned up the area around them in Photoshop. The brightest is mag 18. 

Martin - is there a source of data for all the individual members? I am sure I have seen a data set somewhere?

Mike

528294611_SHK_85.LYNX_2020.1.28_19_51.45circle.png.071c430a8ad058986b9469614baa147c.png

• Like 6

Hi Mike

That will be a great journey! It is always a delight to see what emerges from these largely super-faint groups. My charts plot all the members, numbered (following the original scheme, so more or less in order or magnitude).  I can send you the original data if you like (I can't recall whether I got them from Vizier or the Arnie server). But for field identification and then later member identification I think the charts are your best bet if you manage to download them. I'm not aware of other charts that plot them, but I might be wrong.

Here's SHK85

1897819989_ScreenShot2020-01-29at10_42_00.png.789b8141b5fd7e11ef8037827f627d8c.png

cheers

Martin

Hi Martin,

I have made a start on downloading the Pretty Deep Maps so last night I had them open, along with SkyMap Pro 12 on the laptop. Also open was SkySafari on the tablet and downloading images of the areas on the tablet made making sure I was in the right area easy. Very much enjoying the P.D. Maps.

I would appreciate the original data as I do like to know the magnitudes of what it is I am viewing.

I actually did several SHK groups last night but as yet I have not had time to sort things ready to post.

Have fun

Mike

That's a good challenge you've set yourself. SHK 85 comes up using an internet linked object search in Cartes du Ciel but that probably does not add anything to Sky Map Pro and Sky Safari.

You can get a list of them all from

https://heasarc.gsfc.nasa.gov/db-perl/W3Browse/w3query.pl

and look at individual ones clicking on for example 'o' to get DSS images.

Don't know if this is any help.

e.g. this for SHK 085-2

https://skyview.gsfc.nasa.gov/current/cgi/runquery.pl?VCOORD=118.9196,%2B54.7769&SURVEY=Digitized+Sky+Survey

Best regards

• Thanks 1