NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Eq3-2 goto help.

g-rex

I have an eq3-2 with the dual axis motors.

I've recently seen a post where owners have soldered a ST4 port to the handset (shoestring astronomy) and have then been able to guide and use as a Goto.

I understand the motors would need to changed to make slewing not take ages, but I get stuck as to the connection and software requirements for the mount.

I've seen eqmod and various other software and parts mentioned on various sites and my mind is pretty much scrambled with it all and it has left me pretty much confused.

I'd be extremely grateful if someone has experience of this if they could explain what I would need and why in a straightforward way?

Many thanks in advance.

Have a look at OnStep as well;  https://onstep.groups.io/g/main/wiki/home

As well as fitting suitable motors you will have to build a controller to run the GoTo software.

Although there seems to be a lot to get your head round that is because there are so many design and build options.

Once you  have decided on a strategy the build need not be complicated, especially if you go for the Arduino version.

I built an OnStep GoTo system for my EQ3-2 a couple of years ago and am delighted with it. I operate the mount by Wifi from my Android phone using SkySafari.

I'll have a look at both of those thanks.

Lenscap, could you please just give me an idea of what I'd need then? Did you do the ST4 port conversion on the controller?

Is it simply,

New motors

Adding a port to hand controller

Cable to onstep controller then to laptop.?

Is that everything?

Cheers.

The OnStep design includes an ST4 port, as does AstroEQ suggested above.

You need a way to send alignment and GoTo instructions to the controller.

If you fit  the  WiFi option to OnStep, (which  I recommend), you can download the free OnStep app to your Android phone or tablet to align & control the mount using lists of targets like those on a Synscan app or handset. For planetarium style control  from your phone/tablet you could buy SkySafari plus or pro.

You could connect a laptop to Onstep by USB or Wifi and direct it using Carted du Ciel, Stellarium etc.( I suggest you still align with the phone app then use CdC etc for GoTo - you can connect both at the same time.)

If you want to be independant of a laptop, but prefer physical pushbuttons to a touch screen you could build a smart OnStep handset with functionality similar to a Synscan handset. This involves a fair bit of soldering.

I use the Onstep phone app for alignment, and SkySafari for GoTo. I find physical buttons are  better for centering objects so I built a very simple 4-button dumb handbox (another Onstep option) which plugs into the OnStep ST4 port, for centering.

Lots of options!

Edited by lenscap
typo
  • Like 1

I really appreciate your post but I have to admit (and this is my fault not yours) still feeling a little lost with it. 

Which I suspect means I'm probably not ready to go down this particular avenue without a lot more reading up.

I liked this idea as I like the idea of the odd DIY bit here and there (or as the wife calls it, faffing). Have made a couple of barn door trackers etc but the whole Arduino/stepper motor bit stopped me on those also. 

I guess I was hoping a kit that I could fit that would be a lot cheaper than the Skywatcher kit was what I may find. I know I have but at this minute it's a bit beyond me.

Thanks for your replies though. It certainly gives me food for thought.

• Thanks 1