Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Tripod binos/refractor

Ken82

I have a similar Chinese tripod branderd COMAN. They are made by INNOREL. Mine is nearly identical to the RT85C here: https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/32836039382.html (scroll down a bit for info in English).

I bought it in a brick and mortar camera store for €280. I wanted to see it before buying because I had doubts about the quality.  Normally tall, quality carbon fibre tripods are much more expensive and the ball head on this one  alone already costs €134 - see here

It's incredibly rigid and vibrations dampen in less than a second. The legs are 33 mm thick and made of 8 layers of carbon fibre resin, the metal parts are machined aluminium-magnesium alloy, and the ball in the head is 44 mm in diameter. It is rated for 25 kg.

With the central column extended the tripod reaches 187 cm high. One of the legs unscrews for use as a monopod. As monopod  is 196 cm tall with the central column attached to the leg. 

INNOREL sells their tripods under the brand names Coman, Xiletu, Innorel, Jieyang, QZSD, Cayer, Sirui and no doubt many more. They come in various sizes and are all clones of each other with minor variations. Just wait till one goes on sale. 

Mine was an outlet model. When it first came out it was €100 more expensive. It seems there are always discounted Innorel tripods available. I think this is because of the short product cycle and the many brands name under which they are sold. 

Coman.png.5e338084a399b29ced33790b621942f5.png

For my WO 73mm refactor I use the tripod with a video head (one with a poke to point it with). This is my super birding scope set up.
With my binoculars I use it as a monopod together with a light weight binocular head. It reaches high enough for me to look straight up while standing.
I find the included ball head too heavy (522 g), though it is a good one. It may prove handy for my camera.

So +1 from me for a tall Chinese carbon tripod/monopod from China.

But do look around: you may find a discounted older version or come across the same tripod for less under a different name.

Edited by Ruud
  • Like 1

Just recently purchased the Fotomate VT2900 for mounting my 20x80 bins & to use as a quick setup tripod for my SW 150P & Mak 127. Fitted a Baader dovetail adaptor to the head. Great tripod for the money. Worth a look at. Got my recommendation!

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dovetails-saddles-clamps/baader-vixen-style-dovetail-clamp.html

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/tripods/fotomate-vt-2900-extra-heavy-duty-semi-professional-2-way-tripod.html

• Like 1

On 27/01/2020 at 13:18, Ken82 said:

Would this be a good option for mounting my 16x70 binos ?

Too short for observing while standing; inevitable territorial dispute between legs (its, yours, and the chair's) if you observe seated.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BinocularSky said:

Too short for observing while standing; inevitable territorial dispute between legs (its, yours, and the chair's) if you observe seated.

1790mm high with the central bar extended plus the height of a trigger grip. Would that not be enough ? 

im currently using this  monopod which is great but when others are using it it’s not sturdy enough to just leave. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sirui-P-324SR-Section-Monopod-Support/dp/B073ZHHL94/ref=mp_s_a_1_8?keywords=sirui+monopod&qid=1580304035&sprefix=sirui+&sr=8-8

3 hours ago, Ken82 said:

1790mm high with the central bar extended plus the height of a trigger grip. Would that not be enough ?

That would be, yes, but the one the link pointed to said "Height: 11.5 - 141cm" in the description.

• 3 weeks later...