Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Binocular monopod head ?

Ciaran Meier

Hi Folks

Could someone recommend a binocular mount for a set of 15x70's. Its just the actual head mounting I'm interested in as I am going to combine it with an existing telescopic mount (Extendable window cleaner !!)  Had a look on Amazon and there's quite a variation in options. 

Thanks. 

Hello Binocular sky

It's actually from your website that I got the inspiration to adapt an extendable window cleaner as a monopod: image attached. 

The steel tubular section is perfect, easily adjusted and rigid. The top section, the "squeegy" has too much flex and I'd like to be able to pan and tilt.

So, that's what I want to replace with a proper monopod head which I hope to somehow bodge onto the tubular section. This is what I've been looking at :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Manfrotto-234-Monopod-Tilt-Head/dp/B000KHZ8AA/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?keywords=monopod+head&qid=1580130569&sr=8-4

On your site you mention a pistol grip but to be honest I wouldn't be to sure what would suit

Much appreciated. 

20200120_192603.jpg

I use one of these with my 7 x 50 binoculars or digital compact camera...

s-l300.jpg.b83a82438d809a4bc83b67c05f5efa2f.jpg

It is a Manfrotto 235 Flexihead for monopod - female 1/4" BSW on underside to attach to monopod/pole.

Not sure whether they are still available, but if you can/do obtain one of these, the instructions advise: "...do not use it if showing signs of cracking/splitting..." or similar wording - I have had mine for ten years plus and still appears to be in good shape.

Edited by Philip R
  • Thanks 1

Finally managed to bodge together a decent monopod. Cannibalised an old tripod and fixed the mount head onto the extendable shaft.  Drilled an 8mm hole into a steel curtain bracket and have used that to attach the bino's to the mount head. Seems quite steady even when extended out to max, approx 3 meters tall. 

20200127_185315.jpg

Edited by Ciaran Meier
Wrong photo.
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Ciaran Meier said:

Finally managed to bodge together a decent monopod. Cannibalised an old tripod and fixed the mount head onto the extendable shaft.  Drilled an 8mm hole into a steel curtain bracket and have used that to attach the bino's to the mount head. Seems quite steady even when extended out to max, approx 3 meters tall. 

20200127_185315.jpg

Love it!

Any excuse to avoid cleaning/washing windows and do some stargazing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

14 hours ago, Nakedgun said:

I was going to suggest a Manfrotto product, but no need. Repurposing can be far cheaper.

+1 for the manfrotto, quite a few come up at low price on the bay and are easily refurb'd and are very easy to adjust quickly. Just bear in mind that they need the larger 3/8" tripod screw to attach onto but you can get a 1/4 to 3/8 adapter if needed.

• Like 1

On 27/01/2020 at 13:13, Ciaran Meier said:

Hello Binocular sky

It's actually from your website that I got the inspiration to adapt an extendable window cleaner as a monopod: image attached.

Seems like you have it cracked. If you want to try a trigger-grip, the Manfrotto 222 is, IMNSVHO, the best option - no longer made, but good condition used ones are frequently available on ebay. Omegon do a clone, and the Weifing-Ningbo version (sold under many brand names) is periodically available and usually cheaper.

HTH

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1