NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Counterbalancing the DEC axis

JamesF

I have a NEQ6 with a dual bar, carrying an ST80 guidescope and Photoline 72 plus FF/FR with a motorised filter wheel and a camera.  Even with both OTAs pushed forward through the rings and saddles further than I'd really like, it's obviously tail-heavy.

I assume I'm going to have to add some more weight on the other end of the DEC axis to get it to balance.  That being the case, what's favourite as a method of achieving this?  Or have I missed something obvious?

James

39 minutes ago, JamesF said:

I have a NEQ6 with a dual bar, carrying an ST80 guidescope and Photoline 72 plus FF/FR with a motorised filter wheel and a camera.  Even with both OTAs pushed forward through the rings and saddles further than I'd really like, it's obviously tail-heavy.

I assume I'm going to have to add some more weight on the other end of the DEC axis to get it to balance.  That being the case, what's favourite as a method of achieving this?  Or have I missed something obvious?

James

No, you have not missed anything obvious, I had same issue...I use an ADM Losmandy clamp counter weight set up, on the end of one of the dovetails under one of my scopes, it has a threaded bar and the ADM weights screw onto this...

Aha!  I think I can rig up something like that.  Might need to swap to longer dovetails to give me something to put the additional clamp on, but I think I have a couple that I'm not using.  Thank you.

James

33 minutes ago, JamesF said:

Aha!  I think I can rig up something like that.  Might need to swap to longer dovetails to give me something to put the additional clamp on, but I think I have a couple that I'm not using.  Thank you.

James

Yes I had to move to 240mm dovetails from 180mm for it to work too.. 👍😀

Not sure I fancy putting weights on the dew shield of either the ST80 or the Photoline 72.  Neither is very substantial (unlike, say, the 80ED or the ST120) and in fact the dew shield on the latter is retractable, so "interesting" things might happen if I was imaging near the zenith.  I might be able to fit some behind it though.  I'll look into that tomorrow.

James

I tried bodging something today and I've improved it, but it's still not brilliant.  Balancing a side-by-side rig is more tricky than one on top of the other, it seems.

If the weather plays ball this evening I'll see how it looks.  If it's good enough then things can stay for the time being and I'll have another play when I do my planned belt mod and have to break everything down anyhow.

James

41 minutes ago, JamesF said:

I tried bodging something today and I've improved it, but it's still not brilliant.  Balancing a side-by-side rig is more tricky than one on top of the other, it seems.

If the weather plays ball this evening I'll see how it looks.  If it's good enough then things can stay for the time being and I'll have another play when I do my planned belt mod and have to break everything down anyhow.

James

It is a little more tricky, but still quite easy if you have adjustable weights on the one side... 👍😀