Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Virtual planetarium.

Milliways

Just dl'd this planetarium, its pretty cool :(

http://www.uberdownloads.com/14586/details-stellarium-planetarium.html

Take a look.

Only install the Stellarium.. not the other offer rubbish that comes with the dl.

Its really good, shows everything correctly, all you have to do is input where you are and its done :D like google sky but better i think :lol:

Dave.

Don't beat yourself up Dave - we've all had that experience! Now, for a contrary view, let me say this: I've had a go at Stellarium, and I've had a go at Cartes du Ciel (also a free download - in English). And I must say, I find CdC much more to my liking, although it's a very different way of working and not so 'pretty' as Stellarium. It's targetted at a different audience, closer to the professional market. If you haven't already done so, try it, and see how it compares. Of course you may not agree with me!

Hello pete thats good advice i also have that programme on my laptop I tend to use Stellarium along side my telescope to find objects in a live setting as i find it easier to use and set up but I use cartes du ceil for producing accurate star maps as you can print off charts with it which is not so easy to do with stellarium no harm in keeping both on board and milliways if you havent already discovered it yet can I reckomend a seriously good 3d moon atlas which is also free

its called virtual moon atlas here is the link to it http://www.ap-i.net/avl/en/start

best wishes Pete

I use Stellarium for a quick look around as its handy for jumping forwards and backwards in time to see what up... Then use The Sky6 for detailed planning of center cords and camera rotation for an imagign session.

I dont use software on the laptop to control the scope during an imaging session - the laptop is just used for camera control and autoguiding. Scope control is via the handbox.

Billy...

Gosh, it's seems ages since the last time when I posted on this forum.

Anyhow, about Stellarium, I simply looove it BUT I've had to stop using it :( because, after a short while, my graphics card doesn't behave ay longer affecting Google Earth, Skype, Carte du Ciel, and even the sound recording from the webcam :scratch: , strangely enough (and no, I cannot stay without be able to record).

So, no Stellarium for me, ufortunately :D

You can also download Stellarium as a Portable App. This means you can run in on a memory stick independent of the PC. I have a work laptop that I'm not supposed to fill up with personal stuff. But the memory stick allows me to run Stellarium where ever I am. If anyone is interested, I will post the details.

Cheers

Danny

• 2 weeks later...

Archived