NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Eyepiece quandary

3 hours ago, joe aguiar said:

hi I been away for few days 

OK now that I know it was a gift from GF THEN DONT sell it that's a slap in the face. If you just bought it then maybe that be your best best BUT since its a gift and u already got it use it as it is and see how it goes

The rigel is a really really good idea tho later if you upgrade take off the base with goo gone and use it on your new scope. Same with ep if you do upgrade then to plossls or super pl then keep those and give all original stuff with scope if u sell it later.

Try using the 5x24 finderscope on the moon its ok but once u try other things then u may see y its soo hard to use that kind. ONLY then if u cant find anything then consider getting it.

I ALMOST consider it nessary. If you cant find anthing in the sky then most people just leave this hobby.

I also recommend getting a plainsphere and a good book like night watch. This book also has 20 pages of maps with maybe 150 items in constellation to star looking for.

joejaguar

Welcome back joe.

Im not going to upgrade just yet. Like what your saying, Im going to get to grips with what i have first! 

The rigel is sounding like a better idea each day haha. I see your very valid point about not finding anything! I have still been researching eyepieces and im thinking i shouldn't go lower than 5mm?

I have been using the sky at night 2020 book. But i will check out the one you recommend.

Thanks joe

26 minutes ago, Eugene69 said:

Welcome back joe.

Im not going to upgrade just yet. Like what your saying, Im going to get to grips with what i have first! 

The rigel is sounding like a better idea each day haha. I see your very valid point about not finding anything! I have still been researching eyepieces and im thinking i shouldn't go lower than 5mm?

I have been using the sky at night 2020 book. But i will check out the one you recommend.

Thanks joe

agree that's just too much power for that telescope I would say 10mm ep or 9mm ep which is 70x power to 77x. that may not seem high but remember that you will have to keep moving the scope as you look throught it. The higher mag you take the scope to the faster the object moves in the ep. A lot new people don't realize that. At 77x power I would say the planet will be out of the field of view in 90 secs

at about 200x it will be ou of the fov about 30 secs

at 300x maybe 15  secs

anyway and since your got AZ2 it manilly manual move by hand scope. The sky conditions may not aloow u to go much highter anyway

2nd issue as u see the lens on a 25 or 20mm ep is semi good size, then the 12mm lens is ok but much smaller on a 4mm ep the lens is a pinhole.

also if you do buy ep I don't think u need better then plossl ep might be $15 to 20UK about. 

joejaguar