SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

New scope on way. Collimation thumb screws.

Good evening all. So I have ordered my new telescope from R.V.O.. and am soon to be the proud owner of a Bresser Messier nt-203 exos 2 goto scope.  I have been hitting Google pretty hard trying to find out the correct size collimation thumb screws I will need for not my primary and secondary mirrors. 

I don't really want to spend silly money on Bob's knobs.  If anybody can advise that would be great. 

I have also checked the online manual to no avail. I think, but a not 100% sure I may need M4 thread x 30mm size for the secondary mirror ??

Does  anybody own this scope. I would greatly appreciate any advice. Thanks all.

Not familiar with that particular scope, but if it's anything like my Skywatcher, you shouldn't need to purchase screws for the main mirror - they should be knurled already.

For the secondary (assuming yours are again like the SW) something of a suitable size from here might work (not sure if the nylon will be stiff enough).  I actually used stainless and painted them matt black.  From memory they were either M3 or M4 but yours may be different?

Edited by almcl

For the secondary-mirror, the hub, I take one of the recessed set-screws(for sizing up) to my local hardware and get socket-cap screws(thumb-screws essentially)...

1906457118_secondaryhubscrews5b.jpg.6e57a402fd818bbe87b187d3fca22fa1.jpg

The white-arrow points to a white-nylon washer that I epoxy on the back of the secondary-mirror's stalk.  That gives the set-screws something to dig into besides the soft metal of the stalk.  Without it, the set-screws make dimples in the metal, making it difficult to create new, slight re-positionings of the mirror.  The screws will simply want to slip back into the dimples of an older collimation position; a simulation...

9927530_set-screwmarksholes.jpg.fb4aa552726e113bf18f54d45a6a3f6b.jpg

Edited by Alan64
  • Like 1

I wouldn't even mess with the collamation most scopes hold it very well. Theres somtimes a lot talk about it in forms but for most new people that kinda difficult to do.

Unless it gets a big bump it should be fine. You can test it if you like in a star.

Joejaguar