Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sky-Watcher - Felt application - Quality Control

I don't know if we've just been unlucky, but on 2 of the 3 recent Skywatcher scopes we've bought, there have been problems with the felt used on the rube rings / dew cap. Back in Sept the SW 200dps we bought had poorly applied felt on of the OTA rings, where the felt was scrunched up, so that the sticky side was rubbing on the OTA preventing tube rotation... and a Startravel 102 that arrived yesterday, the same problem was apparent on the Dew tube / Sun shade.

felt 1.jpg

felt 2.jpg

Felt 3.jpg

Felt 4.jpg

Having the built in cap felt lined is  not common. Normally it's just painted back aluminium. So I think that's a plus.

I at one time felt lined the refractor cap myself zo to me if it came already done would be a plus, if I had to reglue once ot 2x a yr I would still be ok.

Same with the felt rings I would just stretch the felt and reglue it.

These are the smaller issues lest to me other scopes may have big issues. I had a focuser stop working after 1st time using it.

Joejaguar 

Edited by joe aguiar
  • Like 1

I once needed to remove for the first time a dew shield with a felt band.

Big strong guy as I am there was no way it would shift by hand.

I tried a strap wrench. No dice.

Wooden mallet? Yep that worked.

After that the shield was as sloppy as something that is very sloppy and would fall off at the drop of a hat, (or dew shield.)

I put a few crumples in the felt and it works fine now....

• Like 1

Whether these are small or big issues, does not matter. What matters is that you trusted a retailer with your money and he/she gave you a bad deal.
Just go back with it and demand a solution for the issue. A trustworthy retailer will solve the problem for you.

• Like 1

Not sure that always good idea.

I ordered a meade lxd75 mount one issue I had was the polar scope cap that's on the front cap was stuck. I tried to pull it off finally I had to use a large wrench it finally came off, but not before it preyed off some paint and I bent couple of the cap triangle teeth. 

So after looking at it I see the person who put it on the hole didnt let the white fully dry and that's y the cap sealed to the mount.

If I were to send it back to the dealer it probably cost least $60 and $60 back just for a cap? And a bit paint that got pulled off? It's not worth the cost and time. The warranty doesnt cover issues like this. 

I could understand if the goto didnt work ot the eq gears etc.

But I guess up to u tho if u think it should be sent back for return or refund

Joejaguar 

That's rather poor-quality felt they provide, but I am surprised at that having come loose, as Chinese adhesives are notoriously tenacious.  The old felt peels off somewhat easily.  Some or most of the adhesive may be left behind however, yet is easily removed with BBQ-lighter fluid, at right...

1882574006_ringfelt-old.jpg.141d3f02c4a0e5dbf8cc0cdcab45979a.jpg

Think nothing of replacing that sub-standard felt with that of better quality, which should be easily available locally.  In this case, I had to replace the factory-felt with that slightly thicker...

1683908653_ringfelt.jpg.d385eed037e923064fc7cd0238009e0c.jpg

The surfaces of the rings and what-not should be wiped down with isopropyl-alcohol or 100%-acetone before applying the new material.

The narrow strip of felt lining the dew-cap of the refractor acts as a shim, and is apparently too thick.  Self-adhesive flocking is thinner, yet more difficult to source.  For example, I used flocking for this holder for a finder-scope...

accessories2b.jpg.203a71f71235f40b234107ed57973aa8.jpg  

Felt would've been too thick in that event.  To adjust the thickness when using flocking, add however many layers of aluminum-foil tape required to the substrate.

Edited by Alan64
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @Alan64 . On the 200 dps OTA rings I ordered a 2nd set & swapped out the problem ring. I then cut away the felt which had got scrunched up & adapted the ring so I could be used as a 3rd ring to help balancing when rotating the tube. The other spare ring was then fitted on the primary mirror end of the tube & helps as a fine balance weight. I also cleaned the gunk from the OTA with isopropyl-alcohol.

With the new refractor, I just carefully cut away the additional felt & that seems to have worked ok. It's intended only as a 'grab & go' when time is limited but I agree it would be better if it was thinner.

I guess I was just unlucky, but can't really complain with the service or value for money...

Cheers
Ivor

• Like 1

These overseas kits arrive somewhat unfinished, not finished properly.  It is then that we take them into our homes and finish them, and to where we want them.

Edited by Alan64