SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M45 Weird Halos

Well I’m getting a refund. There was no guarantee that a third scope would be any better direct from the distributor. So now I need to decide what to replace it with. Another one from FLO with the optical test, a WO GT81, maybe stretch and upgrade to a Esprit 100, although not sure my EQ5 Pro will take it. 

Any other options to consider from FLO?

I've ordered another Esprit 80 from FLO with Es Reid's optical test/check. Fingers crossed this will be the end of these issues for me. Decided that a GT81 would be a problem to mount all my kit (pocket power box/USB hub/compute stick) and a Esprit 100 would exceed the limit of my EQ5 Pro.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AndyThilo said:

I've ordered another Esprit 80 from FLO with Es Reid's optical test/check. Fingers crossed this will be the end of these issues for me. Decided that a GT81 would be a problem to mount all my kit (pocket power box/USB hub/compute stick) and a Esprit 100 would exceed the limit of my EQ5 Pro.

Given the reputation of the Esprit 80 in general, it makes it so surprising you'd have to return two 🙁

Hopefully your next Esprit 80 will be up to scratch and one you're happy with Andy.  When you're spending any money, you want something that's 100% as advertised - especially when you're spending Esprit money 🙂

Look forward to seeing more images when you're back up and running.

• Like 1

On 11/01/2020 at 09:13, AndyThilo said:

I'm wondering, could my scope rings be causing this issue? Could they be too tight, is this the reason why SW don't supply the Esprit 80 with rings? Hopefully I'll get clear skies tomorrow evening to test. I'll have to ditch the guide scope but should be able to get 60sec subs with my EQ5 Pro unguided.

When you removed the foot mount thing, did you put a screw into the hole that was left behind because if that is getting in the way of the light path it would cause something like this. 

Picking my new 80 up from Es on Saturday morning. He said he’s checked it over and collimation is perfect. 

Also decided to upgrade my EQ5 pro to a secondhand Stellartuned HEQ5. It’s an older mount but spoke with the guys at DarkFrame and he said it’s a good one. Full tune, ceramic bearings, and belt mod,  only £540. Oh and 18months warranty with DarkFrame and has a ADM saddle. 

• Like 1

hope you have better luck this time round !

When i got my Esprit 120 in oktober i didn't get the ES Reid check, luckily the optics are perfect on mine, took a gamble there.

It's really strange you got two scopes that weren't good 😖

• Like 1

Maybe it was just a bad batch, too tight collimation screws causing issues when it was cold. Now if this one has issues when it's cold, at last I know the cause and solution. Tempted to get a double length dew heater to put more warmth into it. 

Fingers crossed Sat and Sun are clear so I'll have a good opportunity to test.