Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First light with 10" f/3.9 - The Orion Nebula

Mr_42tr0nomy

Greetings!

So I received my new 10" f/3.9 imaging newtonian and let me tell you... WOW. The difference in signal between the Newt and my f/8 RC isnt even comparable.

I have taken 5 images of the Orion Nebula since I started this hobby four years ago almost to the day. This issue is.. I have never spent more than 3 hours on the target! This past week I decided to dedicate a few nights to this subject and collect a good 15hrs of data which would have been equivalent to 60 hours with my RC ( which is 2 stops slower).

The coma corrector works perfectly spaced at 55mm and the collimation out of the box just needed a bit of tweaking of the primary mirror. This Scope is a BEAST and it is heavy. Balancing the Newt on my CEM60 was a challenge but twisting my scope so that my camera and guidescope point down to the ground at the home position instead of to the side or towards the sky really helped. Since I am using a guidescope I am seeing a bit of flexure even at 300s subs so my plan is to get the spacers for my OAG and have that ready to use again here shortly..

Anyway! Here is the Orion Nebula in all it's glory.

Equipment:
Cem60
10" F/3.9 Newtonian
ASI1600MM-c
Astrodon LRGB
10 hrs Lum
1.5hrs RGB each

Clear SkiesTeagan

orion nebula quattro lrgb.jpg

• Like 21