Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Problems with DSS and PS

Betton

Hi everyone. 

Not new to Astronomy,  but new to astrophotography and especially the processing process. 

So the past few months I’ve been getting data on some targets, no filters. The single exposure images looks good, once they are all stacked in DSS, the whole image comes with a green tint. I have tried the HLVG, plugin in photoshop, but this ca sometimes kill off any detail, or make the whole image look blue and washed out. Has anyone encountered this issue before, are there some settings I’m missing when stacking? I leave everything as default. 

My second issue I have is in photoshop. I have been following tutorials, YouTube videos etc to try and get this right. But the one thing I notice is, when I go to adjust the levels, I have 3 curves in the dialogue box, on all tutorials I see there is only one. 

Any help here would be appreciated. I am using a DSLR, unmodified. I live in around a bortle 5 are. 

thanks. 

Just now, Robny said:

Re: Photoshop.

Could it be that the three you ate seeing is for individual RGB levels, and the ones you have been watching is for either overall brightness or mono?

Just a thought....

I did think that, but when I watch the videos, or read tutorials, the dialogue box shows RGB, same as mine. It is probably something really simple that is really obvious to most. But I always told there is no such thing as stupid question :)

42 minutes ago, Betton said:

I did think that, but when I watch the videos, or read tutorials, the dialogue box shows RGB, same as mine. It is probably something really simple that is really obvious to most. But I always told there is no such thing as stupid question :)

Did you align the rgb channels?  You can use levels in photoshop to do that. 

If using the latest version of DSS you might have selected to completely disable white balance this meaning you get the true output of two green pixels, one red and one blue. Startools for example can then work with this truly raw stacked FITS out put from DSS, assuming you also did not align RGB channels.

6 minutes ago, Atreta said:

Did you align the rgb channels?  You can use levels in photoshop to do that. 

I didn’t. I’ll have another go today. 

4 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

If using the latest version of DSS you might have selected to completely disable white balance this meaning you get the true output of two green pixels, one red and one blue. Startools for example can then work with this truly raw stacked FITS out put from DSS, assuming you also did not align RGB channels.

I didn’t change any settings when stacking, but I will go through and check. Does white balance need to enabled in DSS? 

1 hour ago, happy-kat said:

The option now let's you choose to use no white balance so you truly get the two green pixels one red one blue. It's under raw/fits ddp settings.

This worked. Thank you :)  knew it would be simple