NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Gaia archive, how to use the data

Astrofriend

It's hopeless in Sweden where I live, rain and rain and clouds.

I have to do something about it. I have already earlier used some data from astronomy data archives. Now I start with a new satellite, the Gaia astrometry satellite. It doesn't have images, it has astrometry data.

There are a lot of interesting things that can be done with these data. But first I have to learn how to extrat the data from the archive and how to process it.

I have written down how I do it and can be used as a tutorial for you who find it interesting.

Here it is on my homepage:

http://www.astrofriend.eu/astronomy/science-data/science-data-gaia.html

My first calculation is a HM-diagram of the stars close to the Sun.

Hope you find it as much interesting as I do.

/Lars

• Like 1

Thank you Lars I had just found the archive search page I have been doing photometry on NGC957 and I am searching for data to confirm cluster members and to check my distance calcs. I will have to read this very carefully.

Merry Xmas.🎅🔭

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Steve,

Interesting with your photometry of NGC957. Will you publish the data somewhere?

I have added more information of how Gaia data can be used. Plots of velocity and position, more will added in the future. In the learning process to do more advanced things later.

http://www.astrofriend.eu/astronomy/science-data/gaia/05-gaia-position-stars.html

Happy New Year !

/Lars